BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
This past weekend I wanted to start the car, and the electric engine was starting, however the engine would not. An error message about 4x4 and DSC appeared.
The gas was enough, however it would not spark for some reason.
I tried several times, and it still would not start, and the error message about 4x4 & DSC kept coming.
I tried several times the days before, and it still would not start.
Today I tried again, and it started, with the error message. I drove a little bit around, parked the car, took out the key, and I tried again. It started, and the error messages disappeared.
The same thing happened last Wednesday, however about the 4th time it started.
Does anybody know what could be the problem?
Thank you.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
could be a crankshaft sensor

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you BronxE60 for your response/question. The battery is good, almost new.
Acoste, what do you mean about crankshaft sensor?
Thank you

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Failing crankshaft sensor can cause crank but no start symptoms. The ignition timing is based on the crankshaft sensor signal so if there is none, the DME doesn't know when to give spark and fuel.

Second possibility is fuel pressure problems.

And your engine has valvetronics that could cause similar issue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much for your responses.
The crankshaft sensor makes some sense.
Can the power supply go on/off like that? It was working very fine, I drove a lot with it, parked it outside the house, and when I wanted to park it in the garage, it would not start. The electromotor would turn, and nothing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Failing crankshaft sensor can cause crank but no start symptoms. The ignition timing is based on the crankshaft sensor signal so if there is none, the DME doesn't know when to give spark and fuel.

Hi acoste,

I was looking for one of these sensors and I found this one: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-BMW-E60-...ash=item541c0095a8:g:yQoAAOSwFGNWTGNw&vxp=mtr
Is this what you meant?

Thank you

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I went to my mechanic and he scanned the car for error messages, however he did not find anything related to the crankshaft sensor.
After I managed to push the car from the street on my driveway, it stayed there for a week, and when I pressed the start button it started normally again.
I used it as nothing would have happened for a week, and this weekend it happened again.
The error message I received on board was start-off assistance inactive, together with the other 2 messages that were coming about the 4x4 and DSC.
I had to call the tow truck to take it again to the mechanic.
For some reason, I think because it was inclined when the tow truck driver put it on the platform, when I got to the mechanic, and I pressed the start button, it started again normally.
Right now I hope it will be something to read when he will scan it again.
Could have been something when it was inclined?

Thank you

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Incline shouldn't make any difference.

My next suspect would be the high pressure fuel pump or the one in the tank.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was just thinking that twice it was inclined, once on my driveway and once as it got on the platform of the tow truck, and that would not be just a coincidence.
I will see if my mechanic finds anything.

Thank you

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
If the check valve in the fuel pump is bad, it might let the fuel leak back into the tank from the fuel pipes. Incline might help there. But actually yours was the other way around. Incline helped, versus my version where it acts against.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My mechanic found the following error code: 2ACB.
Does anybody know what that would mean?

Thank you

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found on the net that the meaning would be: digital motor electronics main relay input signal.
Than would translate to what part?
Thank you

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The key battery is also a little bit weak.
Could this also perhaps be a cause to my problem?
Does anybody know anything?
I kept scanning the car, however no messages consistent with the issue came up.
The issue is, probably, because I did not manage to scan the car as it was not starting, so I am checking everything I can check before doing any replacement.
I would like to avoid replacing something that is actually not defective.

Thank you

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I found on the net that the meaning would be: digital motor electronics main relay input signal.
Than would translate to what part?
Thank you
DME relay is right next to the DME and can cause no start for sure. K6300 on the image below

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you very much Acoste.
The issue is that also this error message is not always coming. It was coming as a residual message as the car was already starting.
We actually were never able to scan the car as it was not starting. For some reason after I towed the car to my mechanic, it started again.
Do you think that the battery of the key being low, thus the system not being able to recognize it properly, could be an issue?
I also checked the main car battery and it is OK.
As I said I just want to do as little replacements of parts as possible. It would be bad that after replacing a part, let's say that DME relay, to find out that it was actually OK, and something else is the problem.

Thank you for your understanding

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Hi Bogae,

DME relay is very cheap but you can definitely diagnose this before replacement.

Here is the data about the DME relay. part # 61366915327
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=NV93-USA-01-2008-E60N-BMW-535xi&diagId=61_4128

Here you can see the schematic below.

The DME is activating the DME relay through the S_HR wire by grounding it. Once the DME relay is activated, the U_HR wires will get 12V supply voltage that also appears on those 4 fuses. Check if there is 12V on the fuses when the ignition is on.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts