BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

car experts...need your expertise...

1029 8
Well, here's the story, I'm driving down the 405 going about 65mph and all of a sudden my car starts making beeping noises and my headlights, dashlights and everything goes black...a couple of warning lights come up (don't ask me which ones cause I think my mind kinda blacked out at the same time...hearts beating outta my chest) and my time goes to -- --. My cd is still playing and everything but my gas gauge, tach, everything drops to zero...all this happens at the same time for maybe 10 sec. then everyhting lights back up, the gauges go to its normal places and everything is fine like nothing happened except the time still shows -- --. Does anyone know what happened? Should I go to the dealership to check if anything is wrong? Any advice is welcomed...TIA

P.S. Car is now running fine...don't really want to go to dealer only to have them tell me nothing is wrong...I just need a good idea of what went wrong so I don't waste my time at the dealer...
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Whoa, scary! :yikes: So, was the engine running smoothly the whole time the electrical was freaking out?

:dunno:

--J.
Yea, the engine seemed perfectly fine, I was able to accelerate and decelerate with no problems...the engine was running fine...it was the electrical components that were going crazy, but what I don't get is that the cd player kept playing just fine...if I took it in to the dealer, would they be able to find something on the computer?
JonathanIT said:
Whoa, scary! :yikes: So, was the engine running smoothly the whole time the electrical was freaking out?

:dunno:

--J.
:eeps: :eeps: Did you see any strange lights in the sky? :eeps: :eeps:
If it turns out that no one here knows what's wrong, you might want to consider still taking it in to the dealership. There's always the possibility of some sort of fault code or something. And perhaps more importantly, at least you will have reported the problem. And if it shows up again, it'll be good that you reported it even if they couldn't find the cause. Just a thought. :dunno:
I was thinking in the same lines. UFOs?
rgzimmer said:
:eeps: :eeps: Did you see any strange lights in the sky? :eeps: :eeps:
EMP bomb?

(I've been watching too much 24)
Sounds like the car re-booted to me (much like your home PC if you're running Windows :D )
I thought it can't do that while moving...but in any case - much more probable than UFOs
:rofl: I was thinking the same thing...too much 24...but anyways...thanks for the input...i'm going to take it in and see if there's any fault codes that show up...
snagger said:
EMP bomb?

(I've been watching too much 24)
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.