BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We only want to spend about 20k-25k or possibly lease a viehicle. Im trying to talk her into a Mini Cooper, or a used e46 323i, e36 328i, or e36 M3 sedan. I dont think she is too excited about the Mini but I think for the money it would awesome. :dunno: Any suggestions??

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An X5!!! :D but thats not an option at the moment. I think she's really wanting the 323, because she doesnt like hatchbacks too well. I think either a Mini or a 3 series sedan would be awesome, but in the end its her choice. I was just curious if you guys had any suggestions.:thumbup:

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Closer said:
An X5!!! :D but thats not an option at the moment. I think she's really wanting the 323, because she doesnt like hatchbacks too well. I think either a Mini or a 3 series sedan would be awesome, but in the end its her choice. I was just curious if you guys had any suggestions.:thumbup:
Jetta GLI?

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
I know you said no hatchbacks but my g/f just got the C230 Benz and it is a nice ride. Well built, good handling, goes fast (not the most powerful engine but plenty peppy), and it has tons of room. It even has some cool things our bimmers don't:
-- small compressor to inflate tires
-- remote window roll UP
-- great onboard computer with lots of features like oil temp

Also, they were very willing to negotiate. After our first test drive, I walked away with a price and the salesman made sure to emphasize (twice) that he didn't want to loose a sale for a few dollars. Sure enough we were able to talk him down the next visit and she got a good deal.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
ERK said:
I know you said no hatchbacks but my g/f just got the C230 Benz and it is a nice ride. Well built, good handling, goes fast (not the most powerful engine but plenty peppy), and it has tons of room. .
I agree on the peppy part. I was cat-and-mousing a C230 Evo model on a long sweeping on-ramp a couple weeks back and that thing was flying! When the road straightened he actually was walking away slowly. I still had him in the corner...:D

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
ERK said:
I know you said no hatchbacks but my g/f just got the C230 Benz and it is a nice ride. Well built, good handling, goes fast (not the most powerful engine but plenty peppy), and it has tons of room. It even has some cool things our bimmers don't:
-- small compressor to inflate tires
-- remote window roll UP
-- great onboard computer with lots of features like oil temp

Also, they were very willing to negotiate. After our first test drive, I walked away with a price and the salesman made sure to emphasize (twice) that he didn't want to loose a sale for a few dollars. Sure enough we were able to talk him down the next visit and she got a good deal.
Did you find this car tossable or was it too staid ?

Is it as much fun as an Acura RSX would be ?

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
Alan F said:

Did you find this car tossable or was it too staid ?

Is it as much fun as an Acura RSX would be ?
I haven't driven an RSX so I can't give you good a compaison there.

The few times I've driven it I've found it to be very capable and fun. Certainly not staid. The suspension is on the firm side, the steering has a good feel, there's minimal body roll. There is a slight lag from the supercharger (it's cool to hear it spool up) and the low end torque could be better but it does have some umph behind it. Using the slush box to shift definately ups the fun factor.

BUT I haven't gotten to really push it yet. My g/f doesn't like to be tossed around in the twisties at all so I am dying to get a chance to take it out alone and make the tires squeal.

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
ERK said:

I haven't driven an RSX so I can't give you good a compaison there.

The few times I've driven it I've found it to be very capable and fun. Certainly not staid. The suspension is on the firm side, the steering has a good feel, there's minimal body roll. There is a slight lag from the supercharger (it's cool to hear it spool up) and the low end torque could be better but it does have some umph behind it. Using the slush box to shift definately ups the fun factor.

BUT I haven't gotten to really push it yet. My g/f doesn't like to be tossed around in the twisties at all so I am dying to get a chance to take it out alone and make the tires squeal.
thanks for the report . . . I've driven the Coupe once at a Mercedes event but it was a small course marked out with cones and I don't remember it too well.

I was thinking of going down to the local dealer and test driving it especially since I got something in the mail recently from MB that if I test drive one of their cars I will be entered twice in a sweepstakes :yikes: :yikes:

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
There are a bunch of cool cars in the low 20's, here are a few. I will not state hathbacks since you said she hates them

Jetta GLI // 200hp VR6 with 6-speed
Jetta 1.8T // 180hp turbo good gas mileage
Subaru WRX sedan and Wagon // Turbo AWD fun.

I would rather get a new car over a used one so no used recommendations:D

Jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts