BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 X5 3.0 270,450km. Yesterday when driving my son to work I had the transmission light and the battery light come on. The car was jerking when I was slowing down at a light. I pulled into a parking lot and turned the car off and then the fun started the car would not start. Tried to boost it nope not happening, no crank no clicking nothing. The dash showed 3 lines and a S. Not sure what could be wrong.
Speedometer Light Gauge Measuring instrument Automotive design

Land vehicle Odometer Speedometer Light Vehicle

·
Wingnut
5,209 Posts
sounds as if your battery isnt at voltage, could be the battery, but since you got the battery light, its most likely something to do with the charging system (alternator). check or have checked the battery and charging system. if the battery voltage has gotten too low, trying to boost the car off wont work if the battery is too low. low voltage on these cars can cause many different gremlins to appear, such as the trans lite etc. the battery light is kind of a misnomer, it doesnt indicate that the battery died, but indicates the charging system isnt doing its job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds as if your battery isnt at voltage, could be the battery, but since you got the battery light, its most likely something to do with the charging system (alternator). check or have checked the battery and charging system. if the battery voltage has gotten too low, trying to boost the car off wont work if the battery is too low. low voltage on these cars can cause many different gremlins to appear, such as the trans lite etc. the battery light is kind of a misnomer, it doesnt indicate that the battery died, but indicates the charging system isnt doing its job.
Thank you I’m going to try a new battery. Just had a new alternator put in a week again since the old one wasn’t doing its job. Will update if the battery fixes the problem.

·
Wingnut
5,209 Posts
its your car, but i cant recommend replacing parts in the car til you find the one that fixes it. fully charge the battery and have it load tested, then reinstall in the car and have the charging system checked out. new alternators can be bad or weak, rebuilt alternators more likely so. or yes the battery can get messed up by the previously replaced bad alternator.

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
4,053 Posts
Battery = is there to start the car
Alternator = run's the electronics when the engine is running

ERGO

IF problem starting car or battery keeping a charge issue = battery, charging system or ground
IF problem is while car is running issue = Alternator, cables, ground

On my 2 series, the AGM was toast, the car ran like a dream everything worked fine but wouldn't start unless jumped.
Although if you "managed" to start the car without jumping it, it would bunny hop and NOT run right, because the alternator had
not kicked in yet, once properly jumped and left for a 10-15 seconds, it would run like a hooker on crack

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
4,053 Posts

^^^ this

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
4,053 Posts
get codes, or take it somewhere they can pull the codes for you and NOT just a 30buck OBDii reader ;)

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
4,053 Posts
It is NOT un-heard of having a new faulty alternator, and or cabling not put back properly,
it won't hurt getting a new battery but you may be back to square one unless you know what codes you have
remember
Battery=starting car
Alternator=running car

Thank you I’m going to try a new battery. Just had a new alternator put in a week again since the old one wasn’t doing its job. Will update if the battery fixes the problem.

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
4,053 Posts
40 bucks get a solar ba9, and CHECK the battery and charging system your self

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So my car has been at the shop for almost a week. They have figured out my issue the owner Kevin called me and let me know he has dealt with this issue before. The part that shifts the car into gear was filled with transmission fluid. That is why there was an S on the dash it’s a fail safe to protect the transmission. The reason it was filled with the transmission fluid was because the fuse goes when the transmission can’t sense what gear the car is in. Just under $1000 for the repair.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts