BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to ask the dealer tomorrow, but curious to solicit advice here.

When I ordered, BMW Apps wasn't available. I'm happy to pay the extra.

It's frustrating to know that my car is a bunch of sheet metal, leather, and plastic parts that still needs to be brought together, and I might not be able to have this option.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
Has the car entered production yet? If not, you need to contact your CA ASAP and let him know what you want. My understanding is that a car doesn't enter production until about 2-3 weeks before delivery so you may still have a chance. Your CA is the only one that can tell you this. But do you really want Facebook and Twitter integrated into your car? BMW Apps has been available for post-March 1 vehicles and has been talked about for weeks. Why did you wait so long?

·
Greg Poland Pacific BMW
3,135 Posts
BMW Apps

Official production date to add APPS was March 8th... so depends on when your car was ordered and produced.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Right now, the benefit is you can do Facebook and Twitter in your car (get messages, send canned replies). However, it's clear that this baseline capability will expand over time. Some possibilities include: (1) while you're on your European Delivery trip, getting posts from Bimmerfest that contain the phrases "ED" or "European Delivery," (2) having a Kindle book "read" to you while you drive, (3) characterizations of how you drive, along with specific recommendations on how to improve gas mileage. I haven't read that these will be built, but they could be programmed using the current infrastructure.

So you aren't so much buying it so much for what can be done now, but rather more for what may be possible in the future.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Official production date to add APPS was March 8th... so depends on when your car was ordered and produced.
My car was ordered in late January (production number was issued), and according to BMW's site, it hasn't begun production.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The BMWUSA build your own website states that if you want to add the BMW app ($250), you must have the Navigation ($1900), Smart Phone Integration ($150), and Ipod & USB adapter.

I don't have any of that stuff on mine.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm picking up @ the end of April. My car isn't in production yet. My CA added BMW APPS for me last week.
I called my CA today, he's going to check tomorrow. Thinks it should be possible. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
The BMWUSA build your own website states that if you want to add the BMW app ($250), you must have the Navigation ($1900), Smart Phone Integration ($150), and Ipod & USB adapter.

I don't have any of that stuff on mine.
The smartphone integration (6NF) is included when you order 6NR, so you do not need to add it or pay for it.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
i thought it was actually a week 9 start for 6NR? My car was produced March 7 (Week 10) and 6NR is on the VIR.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Option 6NR was officially listed as available 3/11. That technically falls in week 9. I moved my car from week 7 to week 10 to get 6NR, which it did.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Right now, the benefit is you can do Facebook and Twitter in your car (get messages, send canned replies). However, it's clear that this baseline capability will expand over time. Some possibilities include: (1) while you're on your European Delivery trip, getting posts from Bimmerfest that contain the phrases "ED" or "European Delivery," (2) having a Kindle book "read" to you while you drive, (3) characterizations of how you drive, along with specific recommendations on how to improve gas mileage. I haven't read that these will be built, but they could be programmed using the current infrastructure.

So you aren't so much buying it so much for what can be done now, but rather more for what may be possible in the future.
Thank you for this explanation. You really helped clarify my suspicions that I should get it for the future, even though I am currently somewhat anti-Facebook and anti-Twitter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My delivery date is April 11th and they still haven't started my car yet either. Don't worry, I think it's "Just In Time" (JIT) production. It cuts down on storage and inventory costs.
Does bmwusa.com show the options you ordered? It did for me a couple of months ago but doesn't anymore. It only shows my production time line and production number.

I waited till the first day BMW APPS showed up to complete my PO, which was Feb. 16th. There is no extra cost, you just need to order Nav and Smartphone and it's automatic, at least on the 3 series. However, if your PO was placed before 2/16/11 it might be possible that you don't get it even if you get Nav and Smartphone. You should only have a few days at the most so hopefully your sales guy is really trying.

I don't do Facebook or Twitter, that is not the reason to get BMW APPS to me. It does so much more and will do so much more in the future. For one it integrates Pandora and other internet radio stations into the iDrive system. You can pick your Pandora stations see album art and everything. Eventually you will be able to order your lunch through the iDrive and just drive through and pick it up.

Download the app from the app store now and start playing around with it to get an idea of some of the things it will do.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/12/29/bmw-connected-available-in-the-apple-ios-app-store/

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
There is no extra cost, you just need to order Nav and Smartphone and it's automatic, at least on the 3 series.
Not so sure about about that.

You need to specifically order option 6NR - there is no automatic add of it, as far as I am aware. Smartphone Integration (6NF) was a $150 option until it became integrated into 6NR. The new 6NR option, which includes 6NF, is $250. Essentially, the BMW Apps part is $100 if ones assumes the 6NF at its old $150 price.

I would make sure you order specifically states 6NR and not count on any automatic adding of options, especially during this March transition which has been a bit clumsy for dealers as 6NF became unavailable as a separate option.

·
Registered
338 Posts
OK, as I just ordered my car, the question for me is: if you don't have an iPhone and don't intend to ever get one (not that there's anything wrong with that, just my preference) is there any reason to get BMW Apps?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
It implies.all iPhone apps are available. Will that include email, calendar, etc?
It does?

It looks like future compatible apps will be part of BMW Connected and be approved by BMW in some form. They will also comply I suspect with driving laws, etc. I would hope for some better integration with calendar and reading emails, texts, etc., but no details were given on that capability through 6NR.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
OK, as I just ordered my car, the question for me is: if you don't have an iPhone and don't intend to ever get one (not that there's anything wrong with that, just my preference) is there any reason to get BMW Apps?

Thanks for any info.
I have a Droid Incredible and am NOT an apple fanboy and after all of my research my determination was no. Everything about BMW Apps is apple/iphone-related.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.