BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago wife went to church and was there for over 2 hours. Came out and turned on the car but the car would not start. So i went to check it out and seemed like car was not getting fuel. Started checking fuses and relays and all seemed good. So went to the part store to buy a can of starting fluid to see if the motor was not receiving fuel. Sprayed some in the filter box and car started right up but then died. So came to the conclusion that the fuel pump was bad.

I decided to take the car to a INDY shop that works on BMW'S. They checked and confirmed that the fuel pump was bad. So i gave them the ok to switch it out. I get a call from the shop saying, that the New fuel pump was working to fast.They said that, that might had been the reason my old pump burned out on me. So i gave them the ok to check into it. Few days later i get another call from them, that the car was fixed and everything was working properly. They only needed to put everything back together, so i can go pick it up. Now here we are today, get a another call now there saying that car wont start again but this time there is no spark. At this point im stumped to was happening to this car.

Notes: 2002 745li replaced fuel pump car ran fine now there is no spark!! Please HELP!!

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
what do they mean by that the pump was working too fast? That doesn't make sense since there are 2 fuel pumps, the HPFP which is on the fuel rails and then the pump inside the fuel tank that picks up the fuel and brings it to the HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump)

The only thing I can think of is that is one of the sensors is bad on the fuel rail...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Initial problem was the pump, but they replaced that, now there saying there is no spark. They told me the car was sitting running for an hour with no issues. When they went to put everything back together, car would not start now because there was no spark.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i decided to stop by the shop today to see what was going on. To my surprise i found the car running. Now there telling me that my head gaskets are bad because car is blowing white smoke. The car never gave my wife a overheating or low coolant message. How is this possible that the head gaskets are bad? please help

·
Super Moderator
9,953 Posts
I would also change your CCV valves to see if they might be causing the white smoke. I forgot to mention that earlier. They should cost around 60.00 for both sides. You should be able to do them yourself, at around 10 to 15 minutes per side!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was confirmed today that indeed the head gaskets are blown. Wife said it never gave her an overheating message but who knows. Car never loosed antifreeze, so i don't understand why. So it was recommended to just switch out the motor since it would cost about the same to do a head job. Found one from LKQ for $3000 with 65000 miles and 1 year warranty. Pissed about this!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder if the car overheated while they had it "running for an hour with no problems".
Does the white exhaust smoke smell like antifreeze? (a sweet smell)
Honeslty I couldn't tell you. I checked the oil dipstick and sure enough water is in it. The whole situation with the car is just crazy. Bad fuel pump turns into a bad motor. That's what they said was "running for an hour with no problems".

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Bimmer

·
Master Tinkerer
2,218 Posts
How much water versus oil? No coolant loss at all? Are you going through oil?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How much water versus oil? No coolant loss at all? Are you going through oil?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer
Enough water to make it look like peanut butter. The car never loosed any water, I would check it religiously every weekend. Same goes for the oil, never did it loose any. Keif what do you think happened? Wife said it never gave her a warning about running hot.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Bimmer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.