BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys experienced this problem? I noticed on mine, the car would jerk a little bit a few seconds after the engine is turned off.

It almost sound as if the parking brake released itself (even though the light says its on) after the engine shut off.

Do you guys have this problem?

·
Registered
542 Posts
My car does the same thing. It moves about an inch maybe after the car is turned off. I believe they all do.

·
E65/E66 Helper Man.......
1,511 Posts
thats actually the parking brake engaging... its more noticeable on this car, but i noticed on all my cars, when parking on the driveway (or anywhere with a slope) i hit the parking brake and take my foot of the regular brake, i always feel the vehicle shift backwards slightly...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Have you guys experienced this problem? I noticed on mine, the car would jerk a little bit a few seconds after the engine is turned off.

It almost sound as if the parking brake released itself (even though the light says its on) after the engine shut off.

Do you guys have this problem?
The real question is which direction/in what manner does your car move? That is, if you engage the parking brake when facing uphill, the vehicle will naturally roll backward. The car will of course similarly roll forward if facing downhill. On occasion, when I engage the parking brake on flat ground (or even slightly uphill), the vehicle will move forward - feels as if the vehicle has been hit from behind. Another good analogy is that it feels like I just did a neutral drop! Granted the parking brake is ON, and the vehicle doesn't move significantly, but it is certainly a jerk - not a gradual rolling feeling...

·
bmw addiction
7,153 Posts
The real question is which direction/in what manner does your car move? That is, if you engage the parking brake when facing uphill, the vehicle will naturally roll backward. The car will of course similarly roll forward if facing downhill. On occasion, when I engage the parking brake on flat ground (or even slightly uphill), the vehicle will move forward - feels as if the vehicle has been hit from behind. Another good analogy is that it feels like I just did a neutral drop! Granted the parking brake is ON, and the vehicle doesn't move significantly, but it is certainly a jerk - not a gradual rolling feeling...
+1

·
Registered
22 Posts
hey guys i had the same problem, so i asked a tech at the dealer and he said when the car is on or running and you hit the parking brake the brakes on all wheels engages and when you cut the car off it disengages and the manuel parking brake inside the rear wheels engages so thats why the car moves

·
Registered
2020 BMW 750xi M Sport
344 Posts
Hint: keep your brake pedal pressed approx. 5 seconds after you switch off the engine and engage the parking brake
The jerk movement will go away.It works for me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
same thing with my E39

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 7 does the same thing. I will engage it in park then turn the car off...if I am on a hill it will shift about three inches. Seems like there is some give in the gear.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hint: keep your brake pedal pressed approx. 5 seconds after you switch off the engine and engage the parking brake
The jerk movement will go away.It works for me.
i tried this today and it actually works.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
car nature, but that works for me to stop applyfoot brake put parking brake switch off engine wait a lil bit and go, cuz on the long run that harms the detent point on the parking gear , and if you guys see in normal cars you dont put the parking brake car moves a out 3 inches , not good , tranny will brake which basically happens after having the car for long, i trianed my wife to aplly the brake in her car too, give her lecture if she doesnt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts