BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son got stuck on the road. The serpentine belt came off. I live 1 mile away. So I tried to drive it home to replace it, but the car won't come out of Park. Every warning you can imagine is on. Assuming when I replace the belt, it'll work again?

·
Under the lift arms
12,964 Posts
what engine.. what year.. what model

More then likely.. NO when you put the belt back on its not going to move either,

your in a e60 subforum, you have a e53 on your profile,

and all i want to do is talk to you about the m62tu.....

shoot!

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,201 Posts
Another thing you can assume is you will not just put a new belt on, it came off for a reason.
Start there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, Ill take a look at it today. Maybe the idler pulley went or something. It's a high miles super clean 2010 528Xi. The peanut butter interior looks like it's never been sat in. The exterior is almost perfect. Would a low volt battery keep it from coming out of park?

·
BMW CCA 69606
2,148 Posts
It won't come out of park unless the engine is running. The manual has the procedure to manually get trans into neutral.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car starts and runs. I was only a few blocks from him so I was gonna drive it. But when I put it in d or r it immediately goes back to park

·
BMW CCA 69606
2,148 Posts
Trans problem or perhaps low voltage due to no alternator output. If low voltage is problem, cnnecting a fully charged jump pack or a second battery in trunk w/jumper cables, might give enough power to stay in gear for 1 mile drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This happened to me once, although I did not have the serpentine belt problem. For me, I was slowing to a stop in thick mud and I opened the door and popped the car into park at the same time while not quite fully stopped. It was an emergency situation. The annunciatior screamed, a zillion lights lit the dash panel. The engine would start and idle (***8216;08 535xi) but would not shift out of park. I called my Indy. He said, disconnect the battery, wait a while (I waited 20 minutes), reconnected everything. Boom! Fired right up, shifted into Drive, got the hell out of there. My Indy***8217;s sage advise: Always start with the simplest, most fundamental solution first. In this case, REBOOT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts