BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies if this is already posted, but after 20 minutes of searching, I figured I'd ask.

Once you have your production number, how detailed is the BMW website in telling you about your car? Does it just give general categories like "In Production", etc...or does it go really deep in and tell you that it's being painted and little intricate things?

·
Registered
612 Posts
My apologies if this is already posted, but after 20 minutes of searching, I figured I'd ask.

Once you have your production number, how detailed is the BMW website in telling you about your car? Does it just give general categories like "In Production", etc...or does it go really deep in and tell you that it's being painted and little intricate things?
There are six categories:
  1. On Order
  2. Schedule for Production
  3. Awaiting Transport
  4. En Route
  5. At Preparation Center
  6. At Your BMW Center

These categories seem to work. However, BMW put up this reporting capability apparently without testing it, so parts of it are broken.

First, myself and another customer were unable to track our cars via Production Number. After a month, I gave up and e-mailed BMW North America and they sent me the VIN number, which does allow me to track my car (you can probably get the VIN from your sales rep as well).

Second, the list of options you've ordered on the car will probably be reported incorrectly. On mine I saw multiple, high cost features that I did not order. Worried that I'd have to pay for options I didn't order or start all over to get the car I contracted for, I e-mailed my sales rep and he said, "Don't worry, everything looks fine on the internal system" and sent me a PDF of the printout.

I was frustrated by this whole episode, as BMW pitches it as a great feature--which it is--and then doesn't deliver. I started a thread on the E60 Forum complaining about this, and inadvertently started a firestorm: comments along the lines of, "Who cares, BMW makes great cars," "You don't know what you're talking about" [even though I've worked in programming and high tech for 30 years], etc. You can find the thread here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352141 .

So as long as you go in with lowered expectations (the Production Number won't work and the list of options will be wrong) I think you'll enjoy the feature. It is fun to see your car move along (my 2010 535i xDrive Sports Wagon is currently "En Route.")

·
Registered
625 Posts
Ordered 135i coupe

I have found the current track your BMW on bmwusa.com is updated faster than the one I call the old one or (owners circle), my dealer did a dealer trade for a production number, he had just put in my specs when he gave me the production number, this was around 3pm on a Wednesday but Thursday morning it now showed my specs but with some incorrect items, for example the original car was jet black, black leatherette, sports package and gray popular trim, on that Thursday it showed all my options one them plus the old ones, I had ordered M Sports package or ZMP, Glacier Aluminum Trim with Black Sapphire Metallic and Black Leatherette, it showed both the M sports package and the regular sports package ZSP, so I went to the dealer and asked for a vehicle inquiry report which showed exactly the options I wanted so "track my BMW" IMO still has some of the same bugs as it did before, meaning its not so accurate. As much as this information is in electronic form somewhere, it seems the people who maintain these websites could do better at information exchange IMO.

One thing I think will help BMW is the addition of the ZMP package to the 3-series, 5-series and others, other countries have been able to do this for a long time and just now hitting the US, I notice on the UK website ordering a 3-series, looks like you can order the same audio system as in the M3 high-end audio system, but cant in the US. I believe this has bugged US BMW enthusiasts for a while or at least the post I have seen over the years.

One other thing, now that the ZMP package is available on other models, it still only appears on the 135i as an option on bmwusa.com, why I do not know other than there must be a higher priority for the site administrators other than keeping the site up to date. We enthusiasts get this information from Jon (and thank you Jon) and other ways, leaving this information off could potentially impact sales of non-enthusiasts maybe opt'ing for the ZMP package since their only source of info is bmwusa.com.

Ive never heard over the years a good explanation of why the US was limited option wise when compared to other countries other than huge amount of cars leased which BMW Im sure plans will filter back thru the CPO program, making a more individually spec'ed BMW harder to sell or price thru the CPO program.

Anyway, I drove a 135i coupe and I fell in love with it, still have an E46 m3 convertible that I hope I can keep forever, got to get at least 1 E46, its such a classic, but the 135i felt like a sports car to me compared to the E9X, that and Im not a big fan of the interior kept me from getting an E9x. If they would have only redesigned the interior of the E9X to look more like the revised interior on the 5-series, I could have been a sold customer.

Please no one flame me, its just my opinion, to each their own, some people may even call me crazy for wanting a 1-series but I just like the entire package especially now the ZMP option is offfered.

Should be here either 4/7 or 4/14 depending on which ship it gets on, production should be compelte on 3/17.

I do hope the bmwusa site adminitrators update the current package line-up for the other series, seems as if only the 135i has it correct on the website, now that its also offered on the 128i, its still not updated.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are six categories:
  1. On Order
  2. Schedule for Production
  3. Awaiting Transport
  4. En Route
  5. At Preparation Center
  6. At Your BMW Center
Well, that's semi-exciting. I was hoping it was deadly accurate, such as:
"Placing frame on chassis"
"Applying paint"
"Uploading iDrive software"

I was fantasizing about text message updates, or something uber-techy from BMW, and going crazy at the slightest update...running around my office "They just put the wheels on!!!!"...

but oh well...a boy can dream...I'll have to make myself an imaginary checklist of updates while it's in production.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I was fantasizing about text message updates, or something uber-techy from BMW, and going crazy at the slightest update...running around my office "They just put the wheels on!!!!"...
:rofl:

While not quite that detailed, there are more detailed codes. The phone number is way more accurate and timely than the website. The website is a cruel joke. Not sure why it is so different, whatever feeds the phone IVR system could feed the website.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php/BMW_Production_Status

0 Order deleted by NA
17 Order not Specified
37 Order is at BMW NA
87 Production Week Assigned
97 Order sent to AG
100 Order deleted by AG
101 Error in data transmitted
102 Special Order (no Prod Week)
105 Order out of Prod. Period
111 Order Accepted at AG
112 Order scheduled for Production
150 Production Started
151 Body Shop Started
152 Paint Shop Started
153 Assembly Started
155 Production Completed
160 Released to Distribution
168 AG Stock
170 Waiting Workshop
172 Planned for Workshop
174 Workshop Entry
176 Workshop Complete
180 Waiting for Export Dispatch
181 Waiting for Domestic Dispatch
182 AG Load No. -- Released to Carrier
190 Dispatched ex(port?) BMW AG
191 Returned to BMW AG
193 Arrived at Port of Exit
194 Selected for Shipment
195 Shipped from Port of Exit
196 Shipment Arrival -- ATA

·
Registered
612 Posts
Wow. Didn't even know about the phone option. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts