BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently just ordered and received my 2017 440i Grand Coupe end of August. Now I see that Carplay is available on all 2017 models after September. I have the navigation and Idrive 5.0, is there anyway I can add the Carplay function with software? Called BMW, told me it cannot be added, only during production. It's a shame, such a cool function cannot be added after the fact, even with a brand new car.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
BMW Canada has a retrofit but I was told by BMW NA that a retrofit would not be offered. Thus far there has been no indication that one is coming for the US so in general no, I don't think you can retrofit Car Play.

Tim

·
Custom User
759 Posts
Is Carplay working over Bluetooth or do you need an iPhone adapter like on older models, or some USB dongle?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was told by my CA that CarPlay would be available to order after August 16...so he waited to put my order in. My car is on a ship leaving the Panama Canal today. So excited. It is my understanding it is wireless Bluetooth.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just took delivery of my 2017 340i xDrive and it has CarPlay. Carplay is completely wireless over Bluetooth, no need for wires.

Other countries are offering upgrades to add CarPlay - so it is certainly possible to do it. If BMW NA won't offer it, perhaps someone like http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store/ will offer it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
CarPlay works over the Bluetooth in the vehicle but it does have to be put into the car in production, a retro fit is not offered by BMW NA. Customers who love Apple usually prefer CarPlay but as with anything some just cants stand it. Using the voice control button you can talk to Siri just like you would on your phone, she can even read your text messages to you.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had a rental car - Hyundai Sonata with CarPlay this week and it worked pretty well. It was nice to use an apple product integrated within the car. Wish I had this on my BMW.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts

CARPLAY!

Sooooooo when will it run all apps on the vehicle screen? Heads up display?
The short answer is, never (likely).

It will run the apps that apple thinks is safe to use in a car, decided by apple, until we do not drive our own cars anymore.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
The short answer is, never (likely).

It will run the apps that apple thinks is safe to use in a car, decided by apple, until we do not drive our own cars anymore.
When we don't drive, running all apps is ideal....um.....that's like now according to Tesla.

I say this: Acceptance/proliferation of autonomous driving will be the the most rapid paradigm shift of all time. Hey we can't just do nothing when there's so much available. Gotta VR headset?

·
1oz perception-1# obscure
3,618 Posts
I have Carplay on my Tahoe. It's very cool to be driving down the road, say "Hey Siri, get me directions to 1010 Main Street" and instantly have the Apple navigation put that up on the car's screen. It works very smoothly.

I also switched from Spotify to Apple Music, which has much better Carplay integration. I can navigate pretty much all of the Apple Music menus right there on the car screen, and can also say "Hey Siri, play album Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd", or pretty much any other album I can think of - or any of my playlists, and it will just happen.

The text integration Carplay is slick as well. On the whole it really is just like using your phone, only with the car's screen as the interface rather than the phone itself. Now that I have it I would miss it if I did not.

The Tahoe has a touch screen. I do wonder if Carplay would work as well with an iDrive knob.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
I have Carplay on my Tahoe. It's very cool to be driving down the road, say "Hey Siri, get me directions to 1010 Main Street" and instantly have the Apple navigation put that up on the car's screen. It works very smoothly.
It does.

Is Google better or worse? Come to think of it haven't heard much of Google's offer....wha??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts