Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was parked on an inclined driveway and realized my parking was shoddy so put it in reverse and car put itself back in park once I hit the gas, said secure vehicle against rolling. I tried this several times, eventually I got to the base of the driveway but once my rear wheels the flat surface I heard a machine gun grinding noise sound coming from the back... the transmission?
I turned off the car and let it sit for a minute or so and was able to drive up the driveway again but am really starting to worry now. Luckily I have extended warranty on it but I don't trust it anymore.
Could it have been a safety feature because I didn't put my seatbelt on while backing off? I did put my seatbelt on when I climbed up the driway the second time so I thinking that is likely the case.
Is the transmission toast now, should I have it checked? Had the car for almost 4 years and ran flawless.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,054 Posts
It has nothing to do with your seat belt.

Did you open your door to check your positioning while you were backing up? It won't let you do that--the car will do exactly what you are describing. (or was your door just not fully closed?)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has nothing to do with your seat belt.

Did you open your door to check your positioning while you were backing up? It won't let you do that--the car will do exactly what you are describing. (or was your door just not fully closed?)
Hmm, yeah now that you mention it I think it's likely it wasn't fully closed. Hopefully i didn't break anything.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The car is working as designed.

As I recall, you can drive with the door open with the seat belt on if you need to be able to see through the open door.

It is unlikely you hurt anything but, if so, I suspect the damage would be to the parking pawl.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts