BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was experiencing some issues with my 2003 530, 120,960 miles, not responding very well when accelerating from a complete stop. The car seemed to hesitate and in some instances completely shutoff and then the whole dashboard lite up like a Christmas tree. So, I took it to the BMW Stealer and they told me that I needed to replace the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor because it was no good. Did a little introspection after leaving them....."hmmmm do I wanna get had again by the Stealer, 358.00 for the MAF and another 200 - 400 in labor, bringing the total bill to a whopping 650.00 bucks. Or, do this myself for 11.00 and 10 mins??? I'm sure you guessed right. At any rate, you can buy the cleaner CRC MAF Cleaner at autozone or some other auto parts store for about 11 bucks. Open your hood and look on the drivers side you'll see a round attachment with a plug in it connected to a tube. It should have a metal ring that keeps it connected to the end closest to the cabin air filter housing. After loosening the ring, unhook the electrical attachment and gently pry the sensor from the tube on both sides that is connected to. Be sure not to touch the insides of the sensor with anything. Just spray it. Once you have remove it, spray it generously with the CRC Cleaner. Allow it to sit for a few minutes and then place it back into the place you remove it from, tighten the metal ring and you should be done. Make sure to check underneath the tube you remove it from, because there is another connection under there that can become loose. That was pretty easy to pop back into place as well, because its all rubber tubing. While you're at it you might as well replace the air filter which is at the very left front of the car (Driver's side). Its where the TUbe that the sensor is connected to ends. There is a black box there and if you pull on the handle you'll find that there's probably a very dirty filter in there. replace it. It only cost about 11 bucks for a new one. You'll find your car running like new and quick off the line. Only took 10 minutes to do and 22.00 bucks.:rofl: Beware of the Stealer. Bimmerfest is awesome and has saved me literally thousands!!!!:angel:

·
Registered
15,645 Posts
Shame on you for letting the air filter get that dirty!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts