Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sometimes, not always, when I start out driving in the cold, and not sure if engine RPM or car speed related, but I get what sounds like a pretty loud turkey call coming from somewhere up front. Right around 20-30 mph. Happens maybe once or twice as I'm driving off, then goes away quickly.

No wild animals seem to be caught up under my skid plate either.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Old ATF and second/third gear solenoid. Does it suddenly go away right when the transmission shifts?

Confirm by using Manual shift mode. Mine does this on the tail end of the three year ATF cycle in cold weather.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had the exact same turkey-owl. Only happened when cold, below freezing and at lower speeds, for the first mile or two. Replacing my driveshaft carrier bearing fixed it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Exact noise on mine was coming from the lower, driver's side engine compartment. It was louder when giving it gas. Stumped dealer for a few days. Sounded just like an angry turkey. Was finally solved by dealer replacing the 'vacuum pump' BMW part# 11-66-7-558-344 and 'cover lid' part# 11-11-7-530-262.

-aaron
2008 X3 3.0si 96000 miles

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Old ATF and second/third gear solenoid. Does it suddenly go away right when the transmission shifts?

Confirm by using Manual shift mode. Mine does this on the tail end of the three year ATF cycle in cold weather.
Unsure on shifting, thinking I can re-trigger it by lifting OFF the gas. Maybe the vacuum pump deal then??

My ATF has been in for about 3-yrs, but barely if even.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
One more: Have you checked to see if a bird is stuck in your grille? :)

{I did have a goldfinch get caught in there, and survived.}

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Unsure on shifting, thinking I can re-trigger it by lifting OFF the gas. Maybe the vacuum pump deal then??

My ATF has been in for about 3-yrs, but barely if even.
Sounds like a vacuum issue rather than transmission.

Shakespeares favourite bird was an owl, the Bard Owl, of course.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum issue rather than transmission.
A bad CCV can cause the VCG to vibrate and make a loud, weird noise. Happened briefly on my X3 #2 before I changed the valve cover.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts