BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys..
i was at IN & out friday night to meet up some friends and after i started up my car and moved a few feet, my car stalled!:eek: and i'm pretty sure its not the driver because i drive a steptronic?
any ideas?
i already have a service appointment with cutter this thursday, but what might have caused the problem?
thanks,
Jesse

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
xs3x said:
hey guys..
i was at IN & out friday night to meet up some friends and after i started up my car and moved a few feet, my car stalled!:eek: and i'm pretty sure its not the driver because i drive a steptronic?
any ideas?
i already have a service appointment with cutter this thursday, but what might have caused the problem?
thanks,
Jesse
happens to me pretty often too, sometimes it is because I have less than 1/4 tank of gas and i make sudden stop or fast right turns. but it happened to me the other day pulling out of my garage. im gonna ask the dealer to take a look next time i'm there.

--Andrew

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have 149xx miles on a 2002 330Ci
its weird, because i had almost a full tank in my car:dunno:
it could get serious i think..because my right xenon went out for a few seconds and turned back on itself after numerous tries of turning off and turning on..and a few monthes later, the whole side melted..
hmmmm...anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
ive never heard the xenon thing, I dont know if its related to the car stalling

But Alan F had his car stall once (i think it was him) He has automatic as well. But i think the diagnosis was that it was a HOT day and he had been turning his engine on and off frequently that day.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
///Mathew said:
ive never heard the xenon thing, I dont know if its related to the car stalling

But Alan F had his car stall once (i think it was him) He has automatic as well. But i think the diagnosis was that it was a HOT day and he had been turning his engine on and off frequently that day.
but my problem happened at night:dunno: however, i've been turning my engine on and off frequently..but why would that cause the problem?:dunno:

·
non sequitur
888 Posts
The engine runs rich on startup, so may have some unburned gas left in the engine. Gas is actually difficult to ignite if you do not have enough oxygen available--which may be causing the stalling.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fuz said:
The engine runs rich on startup, so may have some unburned gas left in the engine. Gas is actually difficult to ignite if you do not have enough oxygen available--which may be causing the stalling.
but it stalled after i drove it for about 10 secs?

·
non sequitur
888 Posts
Uh... maybe it has a headache. Drop a couple asprins in the tank and ask it tomorow if it feels ok. :p Flowers might help.

Really though, I don't know at this point. Kiss the roundel for good luck. :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fuz said:
Uh... maybe it has a headache. Drop a couple asprins in the tank and ask it tomorow if it feels ok. :p Flowers might help.

Really though, I don't know at this point. Kiss the roundel for good luck. :D
lol..do people acctually do that?:dunno:
i'll tell my service advisor about the problem on thursday when i take it in..i'll let you guys know how it turns out!:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Happens weekly for me

I have had the stalling problem since I got my 330xi (steptronic) - 2 years ago. It will happen when the car is warmed up, and I stop and shut off for a few minutes - ie. going to the store to get stuff. Here's what happens:

1. Drive car until warm
2. Shut off car and go into store to buy milk
3. Restart car while engine is still warm
4. Put it into reverse gear - to back out of parking space
5. Put it into drive to pull towards road
6. Stop to look both ways before driving onto busy road
7. Look down and notice that engine has stalled out
8. Turn off ignition key and restart engine
9. Drive away

It seems to only happen in the summer. Never in cold weather. It happens about once per week.

I took it to the dealer who could not find any problems and told me to bring it back if it happens again. I told them it happens every week. They claimed they never heard of this problem before.

I called BMWNA and asked about it. They said take it to the dealer if the problem happens again. Otherwise, they never heard of it before and could not help me.

It also happened once while stuck in a traffic jam on the highway.

I'm lost about how to resolve this problem. Obviously it happens to others. I live in the NYC area.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.