Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the plugs on my 1994 BMW 318is. Was running strong for about three days, although I notice a lack of power under 800 rpm that totally disappeared after that. Shut my car off for about ten minutes, and came back and it started up strong and clean. After running about 20 seconds it shut off on its own and it hasn't started since. Starter is turning over fine. Car is not getting fuel or spark. fuel pump is good, dme and fuel pump relay are good as well.

·
Santa
3,096 Posts
Just replaced the plugs on my 1994 BMW 318is. Was running strong for about three days, although I notice a lack of power under 800 rpm that totally disappeared after that. Shut my car off for about ten minutes, and came back and it started up strong and clean. After running about 20 seconds it shut off on its own and it hasn't started since. Starter is turning over fine. Car is not getting fuel or spark. fuel pump is good, dme and fuel pump relay are good as well.

What plugs did you use?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Just a kid with a toolbox
688 Posts
Is it getting fuel? Test. Is it getting spark? Test.
Sounds like you crank position sensor may have failed. Or your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). Test the OHM's of both

·
Santa
3,096 Posts
It sounds stupid but check the fuse box just because look through and make sure nothing's blown. How's your battery?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no, that is a good call, but I have went through all and not found any bad ones. Relays are all good in front left corner of engine compartment, which I think is all of them. Battering has a good strong charge and I have been keeping it on the charger while working on it. I am trying to find what sensor or part would shut off both fuel supply and spark. I would have thought an impact sensor or something, but it wasn't hit. Pretty stumped...

·
Santa
3,096 Posts
no, that is a good call, but I have went through all and not found any bad ones. Relays are all good in front left corner of engine compartment, which I think is all of them. Battering has a good strong charge and I have been keeping it on the charger while working on it. I am trying to find what sensor or part would shut off both fuel supply and spark. I would have thought an impact sensor or something, but it wasn't hit. Pretty stumped...
Positive it's not the DME relay or something along those lines? Try unhooking the battery for about 15 minutes and then putting it back on. Sometimes letting the thing reset can work for odd things.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried the battery reset and grounding out the system to ensure that all the juice was out. Weird thing is with the dme, you can see it activating correctly. I took the cover off and watched it as started it just to make sure.

·
Santa
3,096 Posts
I tried the battery reset and grounding out the system to ensure that all the juice was out. Weird thing is with the dme, you can see it activating correctly. I took the cover off and watched it as started it just to make sure.
Only thing I can really think of Is an issue with the EWS system then. :thumbdwn:

·
Santa
3,096 Posts
No problem, welcome to the Fest! Sorry to hear of the issues, on the plus side obd1 dme's are dirt cheap and readily available.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am getting really confused reading through my chiltons. The EWS and DME almost sound like they are one and the same. Watched a video about replacing the EWS and it says DME right on the cover of it. Could someone help me clarify? Thanks again guys for all your input and advice.

·
Santa
3,096 Posts
No they are separate. The ews module is behind the glove box. The DME is obviously under the hood. That write up i posted shows how a guy used a Red label dme and bridged the ews system to delete the ews feature because, quite frankly it causes a lot of issues. Alternatively I believe you can try to find a silver label dme and just swap it out and call it done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Turned out to be the crankshaft sensor. Strange because it failed all at once, but after replacing my little m42 is roaring again.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,249 Posts
Thanks for reporting back! That's exactly how the crank position sensor went on my daughter's 318....she was driving down the road and it just shut off. No indication it was going bad up until then, just 'cough' and it wouldn't run.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts