BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I park the car in my garage and turn off the car (take foot off brake, press start/stop button, wait a second and open door. Everything turns off).

I get out of the car. Later I come back and open the passenger door to toss in a note or item. The welcome lights come on including the Idrive display and the dash. But they don't go off after I close the door.

I have been having to go back to the driver's side, sit down, turn on the car, and turn it off again.

What am I doing wrong?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,513 Posts
It may be that a second press of the START/STOP is needed to shut the car all the way off. Try pressing the BMW Rondel icon on your CA key-fob after your START/STOP press AND exiting the car, that should have the same function as the second START/STOP press.

My routine is to off the car in the garage. Unload the packages, and then tap the ridges on the door handle to put the car to sleep and set security.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That's the way the NBT2 electronics work on the G-30's. You are doing nothing wrong, as far as I know. I too, often drop something in the back seat and never get in the car, and that's the way mine has behaved since day one. From discussions on this board somewhere, I believe that shut down time under those circumstances is about 8 minutes. It's been discussed here before. You might be able to code it, but in the 5 years I have been coding, I haven't seen that feature.
Someone smarter than me may know where that code feature is located.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I have been having that experience on the front passenger seat. I will try the back.

The problem with locking it for me is that I often don't have the key on me when I want to drop a "honey do" note on the seat.

I will also try waiting ten minutes and see if it shuts off after that.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Another way is hitting option key near idrive controller when you're in the top idrive menu. You'll see "turn vehicle off"

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,747 Posts
It may be that a second press of the START/STOP is needed to shut the car all the way off.
There is no "double press" function of the STOP button on the G30. In addition, he is talking about re-opening the car some time after it has already been shutdown and/or locked the original time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I confirm this is an annoyance with the g30. I have a 2018 540.

It seems like an awful lot of wear and tear if I just walk out to my car to get something out of the backseat and all the electronics come on. Beyond the electronics, there is something that moves (a motor sound) toward the roof between the front and back seat. I am assuming it is the seatbelt motor.

I sure wish nothing turned on and no moving parts initiated when I simply open a door. Again, seems very unnecessary and likely to cause problems with parts breaking in a few years. I hope I'm wrong.

I have an independent BMW shop by my house researching coding options to fix this. I'll provide an update if a solution is reached.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

It seems like an awful lot of wear and tear if I just walk out to my car to get something out of the backseat and all the electronics come on. Beyond the electronics, there is something that moves (a motor sound) toward the roof between the front and back seat. I am assuming it is the seatbelt motor.

I sure wish nothing turned on and no moving parts initiated when I simply open a door. Again, seems very unnecessary and likely to cause problems with parts breaking in a few years. I hope I'm wrong.

I have an independent BMW shop by my house researching coding options to fix this. I'll provide an update if a solution is reached.
This only happens to me on the front seat, not the back seat. And the suggestion to reach in and depress the volume button until it turns off works fine. A bit of an annoyance but one that I can live with now that I have the volume button solution.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I recently hard wired a V1 radar detector by tapping into the empty F59 fuse slot in the Z44 right front distribution (fuse) box (located under the glove box above the kick panel on the passenger side). It was described by others as being a switched 12v power supply. When I tested it it went on fine but didn't seem to go off. Even tried pushing the radio button; everything else turned off but not the radar detector. Before continuing I went up to look over the wiring diagrams (available here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g30-540i-xdrive-lim/ ; go to "home" to change your vehicle). Finally concluded it was in a circuit with a time delay relay that went off after a specific length of time (don't know exactly how long). Went back to the garage after about ten minutes and indeed the radar detector was off. When I opened a door, it went on again. I agree with others here that I don't understand the need to turn on so much stuff when a door is simply opened. --Bob

·
Registered
2,772 Posts

I could not agree more. It happens to me a lot, and it annoys the hell out of me. The VERY least they could do is make it configurable.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Always happens to me when I open the front passenger door, even when the keys are no where in range.

I always just press the Options button on the console, scroll down 2 clicks on the iDrive to Turn Off Vehicle and tap the iDrive knob, and the car turns right back off.

Much easier for me (less dexterity needed) than reaching over to the volume knob and holding that down for a few seconds when half my body is sticking out of the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts