BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some (insert numerous derogatory epithets here) just keyed my '01 325Ci. I am furious and would tear the SOB limb from limb if I found them - though not likely.

It happened on Larchmont Blvd. just north of Beverly for those of you familiar with LA. Parked my car at a meter to stop in and visit my gf at her office and went outside 18 minutes later and they got one deep scratch across the passenger rear fender, door, and front fender!

It doesn't look like it'll buff out - it's pretty deep. I called a couple of places and they said I'm looking at around $1000 to repaint all three panels - maybe more depending on if they have to feather it into the other body panels.

Does that sound about right? Does the fact that it's a metallic paint (steel grey) matter in this? Does anyone know where I can get a license to hunt people who key cars?

Thanks - I needed to vent a little!

·
10,856 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. :( Some asshole got both my right hand doors, too. ****ers. Still haven't had time to get that taken care of.

·
Registered
12 Posts
keyed

I had my car keyed a few months ago, two three inch scratches on the trunk lid. The cost was $375 and I got a deal. You will have to have the entire panel repainted and clearcoated. In my opinion anyone who will do this for only $1k is going to do a shitty job. I'd think you are looking at $2k for a good job, luckily for you this is covered under the comprehensive section of your insurance, which means your premium will not go up. Good luck.

·
10,856 Posts
jcliff, I've been quoted about $300 a panel to get my car fixed at the VOB shop, which I have yet to hhear a complaint about. I seriously doubt that he needs to spend $2000 to get three panels painted.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! :thumb:

I'd give it a try touching it up myself but it runs the entire length of the car from rear fender to front fender - just barely missing a snag on the hood. I'll try and post a picture of it this weekend and then a once it's been fixed.

I spoke with my insurance company and it is covered though I'll still have to shell out my $500 deductible. So I'm not that concerned about how much it'll cost now - only that you can look at it and never tell it happened.

I guess on the upside I can have another fender ding fixed as a part of this and that was going to cost me about $125 anyway. Still, if I was going to blow $500 I'd rather not do it this way.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Really makes ya wonder about people don't it ? My wifes Ford Explorer, 10 days old in 1999, was keyed from stem to stern. I reassured her that statistics proved that people that key cars die a violent death eventually sometime in their lives. ;)

·
Senior Slacker
5,647 Posts
Before I built a garage my two cars, an Acura Integra and an Acura Legend were keyed like Rip's wife's car, stem to stern. Both had to be completely repainted. I could never understand the "why" and was sorry I was not there with a baseball bat....

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
This phenomenon of keying a brand new high dollar automobile makes me furious. I am not a violent person but keying a car makes me want to beat he hell out of people. I can just see some scruffy little, bad attitude punk walking along furtively keying your car. These people should be summarily executed. F*&king with a man’s car is just against the rules. It is an affront to civilization. Stealing a car I can understand, but randomly vandalizing; well there’s just no excuse.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car. I hate those low-life SOB's that do that kind of stuff. They will never amount to anything and hate anyone who has something nice. It was probably one of the Al Gore clan that feels like it is not fair for someone to have something nice like a BMW and them not have one also.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Scotes said:
Some (insert numerous derogatory epithets here) just keyed my '01 325Ci. I am furious and would tear the SOB limb from limb if I found them - though not likely.

It happened on Larchmont Blvd. just north of Beverly for those of you familiar with LA. Parked my car at a meter to stop in and visit my gf at her office and went outside 18 minutes later and they got one deep scratch across the passenger rear fender, door, and front fender!

It doesn't look like it'll buff out - it's pretty deep. I called a couple of places and they said I'm looking at around $1000 to repaint all three panels - maybe more depending on if they have to feather it into the other body panels.

Does that sound about right? Does the fact that it's a metallic paint (steel grey) matter in this? Does anyone know where I can get a license to hunt people who key cars?

Thanks - I needed to vent a little!
I am truely sorry. It happened to me as well in San Francisco. The car is still in the body shop and the weather here is so nice...:cry:
You know, they used to have this law in Sweden that they would cut your right hand for stealing. And you know what, they pretty much eliminated theft. For low life loosers draconian penalties are the only way to go. In my case 2 panels are gonna cost me around $1000.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I'd be torqued as well. I'm always worried about someone vandalizing my car due to the neighborhood. Last Winter, 2 kids smashed the windows of over 100+ cars, in broad daylight. Cops caught them too. Wasn't hard. Snowed the night before, so the cops just followed the footprints to their homes. They weren't stoned or drunk or anything. They just did it "for kicks".

I hate this town. But today - great news! We found a new home in a quiet, peaceful, friendly - and very safe- neighborhood.

Bye-bye shitsville. Can't wait to move into the new place!! :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Look at it like this...

A fair amount of people will (according to statistics) have shit for brains. It is within the nature of these people to key cars - among other things.

Just be thankful that your are not one of them. Your problems can be easily solved - theirs properly can't. It will stick to them for life, and thats a lot worse than a beating with a baseball bat.

Hope that makes you feel better. :p

JSE

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
It's not always the low life:

"It's Kitaen's second arrest in less than six months. According to records pulled by the Register, she also got collared December 13 for allegedly keying a car in Newport Beach. She's due in court to answer to that charge on April 18. "

Link:

"Bachelor Party" Babe Kitaen Busted

1 - 16 of 16 Posts