BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we all know what the car wash does to the chrome trim on our 7's, my question is some of us that did not buy our cars new and "damage" was done already, is there anyway to bring the trim back besides replacing it?

·
Registered
542 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I did a search and found all the info on it happening to people but no cure after the fact. I did however miss this in one post that I will try,

"I think the OP was referring to the chrome strips around the windows getting discolored by the harsh chemicals used by some car washes. Am I right? If so we have had success with taking a baking soda and water mixture and lightly rubbing it on the trim. Stay away from the paint and don't make it to thick as to be abrasive. "

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
check on bav auto website or bmp design they have products for that ,personally i never used any but good luck

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Well we all know what the car wash does to the chrome trim on our 7's, my question is some of us that did not buy our cars new and "damage" was done already, is there anyway to bring the trim back besides replacing it?
What strips are you talking about and what damage was caused...there are a number of ways to clean-up chrome I just want to understand what you are talking about

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just the chrome window and door trim peices, not damage so much as to say they were ripped off the acr or peeling more blotching and discoloration of the chrome

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Just the chrome window and door trim peices, not damage so much as to say they were ripped off the acr or peeling more blotching and discoloration of the chrome
A good paint cleaner will work wonders on them...its what I used on my used 540...some of it will not come out but it will make them look a lot better...once that's done you should use some WD 40 on the rubber to remove any of the paint cleaner residue that is left

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
great thanks i'll give it a try this weekend

1 - 9 of 9 Posts