Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up a new 2020 X5 M50i in the Ametrin Metallic for the wife, it will be our first ownership experience with the brand. I have a Porsche that can not go through a car wash between the rims and notorious soft paint picking up swirls... are BMWs the same way and handwash only?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,538 Posts
Swirls from automatic car wash brushes? Brushes are a major no no! Think of the mighty monster mudder that went through just moments before your perfect paint job.

I believe that a touchless car wash is preferable to having abrasive dirt accumulate on the paint. When I can, I hand wash two bucket method with soap not detergent after cheap pressure washer blasting off the loose dirt. When I can because water is frozen here October to May.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, appreciate the response! I***8217;ve had to become an amateur detailer this last year so I was at least prepared for the answer. Adams Polishes foam cannon has been a gamechanger

Swirls from automatic car wash brushes? Brushes are a major no no! Think of the mighty monster mudder that went through just moments before your perfect paint job.

I believe that a touchless car wash is preferable to having abrasive dirt accumulate on the paint. When I can, I hand wash two bucket method with soap not detergent after cheap pressure washer blasting off the loose dirt. When I can because water is frozen here October to May.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No car wash, please. They generate to many swirls, 2 bucket it as mentioned above. I use a low pressure battery operated Sun Joe SPX6001C-XR which works great in the winter since all the outside water lines are shut off due to winter. Get yourself a battery operated leaf blower to dry it and then towel dry with a bit of detailer(if really interested look at some of Mike Phillips videos from AG)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,240 Posts
are BMWs the same way and handwash only?
Not sure ive ever seen paint that isnt.

Lots of owners that cant tell...but the paint, it dont lie.

I use DI water for a rinse on my dark cars, reduces spotting and haze. even with a leaf blower or other 'light' drying techniques.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Try to find a touchless car wash. Usually at Chevron gas stations.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Touchless car washes are OK, but....... how do you think they work? Touchless car washes use very harsh detergents to loosen and remove soil. Those harsh detergents also do a good job of removing any wax and/or sealants that you have applied, significantly shortening their life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts