BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i did a head gasket on my 530i and i just started it last night and it idles perfect but as soon as i press the gas it wont go past like 1200 and is acting like a missfire. i scanned it and came up with four codes... they are cam position sensor B/ Throttle position A high input and /B low input/ also coolant sensor low or something.. I dont know if its timing, only because it starts right up and like i said idles amazing. On the dash i have the eml light on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:thumbup:

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Sounds like those sensors have all died, or the connections are bad. I've seen resistance values here for the temp sensor, but not the others.

I suspect that, if you ohm the sensors, and get no reading (open), that would be sufficient grounds for replacement.

Note that a cold engine runs open-loop until the O2 sensors heat up and become functional. That's why it idles well. Throttle posaition sensor may be erratic, keeping the engine speed down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm thanks.. so would the cam position sensor be coming up because of bad timing? thats what i fear.... i will try to test the other sensors and maybe let it warm up for a while to see if it does anything. it was sitting for like a month unplugged.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Did you find the tools to do the timing?--If not I would suggest that you have it hauled to an indy or a dealer to have that last bit of work done.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Check your connections again--esp at the throttlebody--by chance did you get some of the connections crossed up--thats what I would look for --easy to have happen---

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright i will go over all the connections and see. how will i know which goes where if i already cant figure it out haha. like is there a diagram anywhere describing where the wires go from that black connection block?

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Well the one at the throttlebody can't be crossed but there are others that may--might not hurt to discontect all of them thn see if that helps--sounds like it's something electrical --

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright. i thought the same thing.. i was wondering if maybe the connection got fouled by oil or something inside the plug. idk though.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
That can damn well happen--won't hurt to try--might get yourself some of the electrical contact spray and clean it all up---might check the throttle body connection to make sure nothing is crossed up in there as well as if there may be some dirt residing also.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Just thought of this--the plug going to the idle control valve is alot like the one going to the DISA valve--check and see if those two are swaped out--

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Tell us what you did to fix it!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the plug going into the throttle body was filthy and wasnt getting a good connection. just used some maf cleaner to clean it out. worked good

1 - 17 of 17 Posts