BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I been having this issue for a while where the car kept dying from a parasitic draw when i lock the doors but its fine when i leave it unlocked. One day when the battery died it stopped turning over and will not even recognize the key as it doesnt give "key in ignition" warning when I open the doors. Temporarily fixed it by replacing the dead battery inside the diamond key and reprogramming it by holding unlock and pressing the middle button 3 times after putting it in the ignition. After a few weeks the issue was back.

Key still has battery in it, it can remote unlock/lock doors. But car wont recognize the key in ignition as no warning when doors open and no turn over again. The odd problem now is that the key jiggles inside the ignition lock when it used to sit firmly in place before. I got the car to see the key a few times by jiggling the keys around in the key lock and now that wont work either.

So do I need to replace the Ignition switch (61326901962) or the Lock with key code (32307197330)?

Also do you think replacing the ignition switch stop the parasitic draw from killing the battery when doors are locked? (I had a mechanic check out my battery, starter and alternator. All of them were good)

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
The two wireless systems in the key are separate. The remote control functions and the “drive away protection” (E W S). They share one component, the antenna, so if that is broken neither will work. The ews does not use the battery.

Flaky start ability usually is the ignition switch, sometimes the key antenna.

Xo members have refurbished their ignition switch by dissemble and cleaning but they are not expensive so that’s usually the first phase and usually cures the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Re: parasitic draw, your car is likely not going to sleep when you set the alarm, but could be unrelated to the alarm, eg, some other thing Is still drawing power when off, but the battery can handle it, but not it AND the alarm, it’s usually the FSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.