BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a lot of research. Not a fan of dealerships. Like to fix stuff myself.

Drove my car to work. Performed fine.
Went to pop my trunk to store my back and go to lunch, trunk would not pop. Girlfriend washed the key fob like six times, so this is a frequent occurrence. Press it some more. No luck. Open the fob up to adjust the battery, which almost always does the trick. No luck. Press the other buttons, which sometimes still work. No luck. Go to get in my car, comfort access does not respond. This is expected if the fob is not working, so I take my key out, and open it manually. Something seems odd, as nothing wakes up when I open the car. I disregard this and press the trunk release. Nothing. Now I am concerned. I sit in the car and try to start it. Nothing. Fiddle with the fob and the start/stop button a bit more. No luck. Go into my office to grab my DVM, as I am electromechanical technician, and proceed to test the battery. 12.48 volts. Seems fine, but I try and jump it anyways. No luck.

Noteworthy details: the display, glove box, and a few other accessory lights come on, but the car does not boot up. There is some audible soft clicking at random. Same sound as the trunk release servo/relay. Not sure where it is coming from, but it is at random when I am sitting in the car.

Car is stranded right now in a parking structure. I have a DVM and plenty of tools at my disposal. Looking for some direction.

I wouldn't have posted this if it weren't for already spending hours grooming through non-descriptive "Car won't start" posts with no solid information or follow up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The starter ... had same problem
I will start testing this ASAP. Trouble is that I can't find a good guide to replace it. None available locally for a good price either. Hopefully it's intuitive. I see that the previous generation wasn't so easy to work on.

Also, as an update, I had a friend attach a boost/diagnostic to my battery and it seemed to test out just fine. Starter seems like the most likely culprit. I will try and have someone listen as I try and start it.

Questions.
Can the solenoid and motor of the starter function independently of each other? Like, is there a chance that I could hear one function and not the other? Or do they both need to work for it to make any attempt at doing its job?
Second, is there any difference between the way a starter functions for a push start over a turn key?

Thanks for the input! I will update you guys so that less people have to deal with the cost of dealerships or the headache of tons of research once I am done.

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,809 Posts
Out of curiosity, why would the starter being faulty not allow even the UI to boot up on the car? Shouldn't that just prevent the motor from turning over? Why will my trunk not work and why does my car not respond to the key fob?
This was also my thoughts. I would start by pulling codes to see what they say. Your description sounds like the battery to me, but it could also be a control unit.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
If I understand correctly one remote still does not work. If that's the case then lets eliminate one potential source of the problem. Try to get the remote to work by drying it out and replacing the battery. Or try the second remote.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.