BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"My Toy" a '95 318ic let me down at a gas station. I got back in & nothing (just lights on dash but no noise). 2 guys gave me a push start & I got home (why I love a stick). I went to Auto Zone & they replaced my battery (w/o checking it) & it started. Less than a week later it happen again. Did some web searching and went to a salvage yard and replaced the alternator (a bear for a lil old lady to take off & replace) & still nothing. I ordered a starter relay and replaced it yesterday & still nothing. :mad: So I just ordered a new starter from Ebay today. Give me a break, this had better be it. What is going to be interesting is I do not have ramps and I found a video showing a kind of easy way to replace the starter underneath without having to remove lots of stuff above. Any suggestions? Oh before I forget, I had changed the cabin air filter awhile ago and had "not" put it all back (That is where the starter relay was) but this connection came out & I have no idea where it goes/sure hope it is nothing to do with starting. ANY SUGGESTIONS would be greatly appreciated new starter should be in Mon. or Tues.

·
Officially broke
487 Posts
Make sure the power cable to the starter isn't corroded that can cause intermittent starting issues. Make sure there isn't a drop in voltage from the beginning of the power cable to the starter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just ordered a new starter and with luck will get it in this week end. Saw a post on how to get to it easy from under the car. So I bought a pr. of jacks today. Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check out my thread to see ig we're having the same issue... Basically my car fails to start when it's hot and only occasionally, but after a few tries it starts as normal... Is it similar in yours?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts