BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battery in my 98 540i died over the weekend. I went to jump it but it wouldn't start. All the interior lights were on, but when I turned the key, all lights died and all I got was a clicking noise. I decided to see if trickle-charging the battery would work, but even after fully charging the battery, I had the same results. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Ivan
686 Posts
the battery is gone for good, dead forever

seems there is no solution
been there!, it sucks

go get a new one!

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
+1.

Get a new battery.

·
Registered
559 Posts
On previous cars I've had that same condition if the battery terminals had corrosion or they weren't tight. Make sure your connections are good before buying a new battery.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Had a friend with an e39 call me on Monday with the same thing. Click, click, click when he turned the key and that's it. Told him to go to AutoZone (Batteries Plus was closed for the holiday) and gave him the battery model number. He called back saying they tested his battery and it was dead as a doornail, but when he put in the new battery it was still dead. I told him to clamp down the connections tighter and that's all it took. Started right up.

Keep in mind that these days batteries are made to run at pretty much full charge and then drop down to nothing at the end of their life. If your battery is 4 to 5 years old, it's probably time to replace it.

·
PLN540
69 Posts
Stay away from Sears. I am on my 4th Diehard international battery in 6 months. I have used Diehards (in other cars) for years w/ no problems. For some reason their Diehard
International doesn't want to work in my '02 540. The original one conked out before I could get out of the parking lot; 2nd one lasted a month; the third for 5 months. My electrical system checks out ok - and the batteries are just dead, no good, won't even start w/ a jump.

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
Stay away from Sears. I am on my 4th Diehard international battery in 6 months. I have used Diehards (in other cars) for years w/ no problems. For some reason their Diehard
International doesn't want to work in my '02 540. The original one conked out before I could get out of the parking lot; 2nd one lasted a month; the third for 5 months. My electrical system checks out ok - and the batteries are just dead, no good, won't even start w/ a jump.
Get BOSCH :dunno:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i've charged the battery and it's holding full charge, but now when i turn the key, nothing happens at all. Not even any clicking before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts