BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so I pull in, put the car in park, hit the start/stop button. Radio stays on, etc. I get out of the car and can't lock it by putting my hand on the door handle. if I press the lock button on the fob, car turns everything off and locks. Am I doing something wrong? If i press and hold the start/stop button, car still doesn't shut down. If I press it twice, still doesn't. Is this all normal? And "switch off after door opening" doesn't do it obviously because I have that setup already.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nevermind, figured it out but it was a bit of a pain. finally found a thread on this. basically you have to wait a second or two BEFORE opening the door to shut it down. if it doesn't shut down when you get out, you HAVE to use the fob to lock it, can't use the door handles.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,747 Posts
Yes, you can always lock the car using the Comfort Access door handle, and it will shutdown the electronics. You can also press and hold the radio volume knob for about 2 seconds to shut it all down. And yes, if you have the iDrive option set, like "shutdown upon exit (or door open)", it will shutdown, but you do have to wait about a second before opening the door. If there is a passenger, then whichever door opens last shuts down the electronics.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope, not on my car. absolutely cannot lock the doors if the electronics are still on inside. maybe it's just my model, who knows, but it's not possible. Not from any door.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
nope, not on my car. absolutely cannot lock the doors if the electronics are still on inside. maybe it's just my model, who knows, but it's not possible. Not from any door.
That is an issue with your car, not the model. I had an earlier issue with my door handle and access which required the handle and electronics replaced.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,640 Posts
Are you sure you have Comfort Access?

And if you DO have Comfort Access, any chance you left a fob in the car? E.g. the 2nd fob the dealer gave you when you picked up the car. If it senses a fob in the car, CA will try to kee[ you from locking yourself out.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure i have comfort access. and the second fob is in my kitchen drawer. Only problem I have is locking the doors with the electronics still on (car off) from the door handle...

·
Registered
796 Posts
That is an issue with your car, not the model. I had an earlier issue with my door handle and access which required the handle and electronics replaced.
Agree, I lock and shut off everything with the comfort access door handle every day.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm sure i have comfort access. and the second fob is in my kitchen drawer. Only problem I have is locking the doors with the electronics still on (car off) from the door handle...
I do not have this problem, but I'm wondering where you are "putting my hand on the door handle"? To lock the car, I simply use one finger as shown in this picture. My finger is touching right on those three "ridges". My finger is not really "inside" the door handle where you would normally put your fingers to grip/open the door.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts