BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my right rear air strut has had a leak in it. I brought it to the dealer yesterday to give me an estimate on the repair. The compressor has been working fine and the left side of the car has had no issues. I also had them do a break fluid flush.

When I left the dealer, the compressor is not coming on at all and now I have a solid yellow DSC light on in my dash.

I'm bringing the car back to the dealer next week, but in the meantime does anyone have any recommendations on how to check the compressor( fuse location) and to see what could be causing the DSC light to be on?

And they're diagnosis was that the right rear strut was defective but the compressor pump is still okay

·
Registered
2018 740e xDrive iPerformance
107 Posts
So my right rear air strut has had a leak in it. I brought it to the dealer yesterday to give me an estimate on the repair. The compressor has been working fine and the left side of the car has had no issues. I also had them do a break fluid flush.

When I left the dealer, the compressor is not coming on at all and now I have a solid yellow DSC light on in my dash.

I'm bringing the car back to the dealer next week, but in the meantime does anyone have any recommendations on how to check the compressor( fuse location) and to see what could be causing the DSC light to be on?

And they're diagnosis was that the right rear strut was defective but the compressor pump is still okay
I will check ISTA later for fuses involved, but the relay that controls that compressor is shown below. Any fuse involved will be on the rear right power distribution box (directly below that relay), so you could look at all the fuses with a flashlight to see if any are blown.

How do you know the compressor is not working?

My guess is the DSC is related to the brake bleeding, since the DSC - ABS system are inter-related, and may need an error code cleared. Although the DSC does monitor the ride height sensors in each corner of the car, I would not think their position would cause a DSC error unless the sensor was damaged, but that would cause "chassis" errors from the Vertical Dynamics Platform module also.

If you have a way of reading / clearing error codes you could see if it is an intermittent problem.

If the compressor is not working, then pushing the ride height button (while the engine is running) on the center console will not raise the car up (the button will flash while it is going up, and then be lit solid when at maximum height).

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check ISTA later for fuses involved, but the relay that controls that compressor is shown below. Any fuse involved will be on the rear right power distribution box (directly below that relay), so you could look at all the fuses with a flashlight to see if any are blown.

How do you know the compressor is not working?

My guess is the DSC is related to the brake bleeding, since the DSC - ABS system are inter-related, and may need an error code cleared. Although the DSC does monitor the ride height sensors in each corner of the car, I would not think their position would cause a DSC error unless the sensor was damaged, but that would cause "chassis" errors from the Vertical Dynamics Platform module also.

If you have a way of reading / clearing error codes you could see if it is an intermittent problem.

If the compressor is not working, then pushing the ride height button (while the engine is running) on the center console will not raise the car up (the button will flash while it is going up, and then be lit solid when at maximum height).

View attachment 1060141
Thank you for the information.

The main reason I think the compressor is not working is now the left side of the car is also sagging. Before yesterday the left side was fine and I can hear the compressor. On the right side where there is an issue, it would raise when the car was on. When I turned off the car, I could hear bursts of air and the right side would raise and lower a couple times and then stop. When I drive the car it's also still a comfortable ride until I left the dealer yesterday. With both the left and right rear sides sagging, it is a very shaky ride.

The light on the rude height button does not come on at all.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,037 Posts
I got that yesterday after I got home. Kinda like kicking me while I'm down. Unfortunately I have 94000 miles, so it wouldn't apply.
Have you been nice to your BMW Service Center dealer? Beg for some goodwill.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: I was able to successfully run ISTA+ via ENET cable and connect to my car. First thing to pop up was fault stating vehicle transfer mode was active. Also said something about still being in diagnostic mode. My guess is the dealer didn't release the car in the software. Now bigger issue, at least with the dealer, is this is the 2nd time they have done something like this. When I had the radiator replaced, the ac didn't work. After I brought the car back, and they had it for 1.5 hours, they said nothing was wrong. I think at this point, they are dead to me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Update: I was able to successfully run ISTA+ via ENET cable and connect to my car. First thing to pop up was fault stating vehicle transfer mode was active. Also said something about still being in diagnostic mode. My guess is the dealer didn't release the car in the software. Now bigger issue, at least with the dealer, is this is the 2nd time they have done something like this. When I had the radiator replaced, the ac didn't work. After I brought the car back, and they had it for 1.5 hours, they said nothing was wrong. I think at this point, they are dead to me.
Sounds like you need to use a different dealer.

Does it say "transfer mode" or "transport mode" ? If it is in either mode (I think the wording depends on the version of ISTA), that would explain why your air suspension does not work. While in that mode the air compressor will never turn on. There are different ways to prevent the compressor from turning on while replacing an air strut, and that is one of them.

You can get it out of transport mode using ISTA. In ISTA go to: vehicle management/service functions/maintenance and pre-delivery check/transport mode, pre-delivery check/delete transport mode.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like you need to use a different dealer.

Does it say "transfer mode" or "transport mode" ? If it is in "Transport mode" that would explain why your air suspension does not work. While in that mode the air compressor will never turn on. There are different ways to prevent the compressor from tuning on while replacing an air strut, and that is one of them.

You can get it out of transport mode using ISTA. In ISTA go to: vehicle management/service functions/maintenance and pre-delivery check/transport mode, pre-delivery check/delete transport mode.
yes, transport mode. thank you.

I was able to get it out of the mode :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
yes, transport mode. thank you.

I was able to get it out of the mode :)
Awesome. Let us know if your air suspension works properly. Hopefully they actually fixed your leak.

If the air suspension works and you still get DSC errors (or EPS errors) you may need to follow this and re-calibrate the steering sensor. But this only applies to specific production dates and integration level (i-level) programming, so it may not apply to your car- https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10146635-9999.pdf

1 - 11 of 11 Posts