BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone, first off I apologize if this topic has been covered multiple times. It's my first ever BMW and do not know much about these V8 motors yet.

1. Wish to go with Carbahn mainly because of matching warranty. Even I got used, I still have remaining factory warranty, so I'd assume Carbahn would honor any repair if happens. Anyone ever dealt with Carbahn warranty? Wish to know real world experience.

2. General thoughts on tuning (piggyback) these engines? I have been always vette guy and those motors could run 800 whp all day with proper mods. How are these? Carbahn 93 tune gets about 637/717 flywheel, wondering if its above the limit of the engine.

3. Overall reputations of Carbahn? All I know is the owner founded Dinan.... Would be great if I can get some feedbacks.

Thank you !!!!

·
Retired Official Welcomer
2021 X5 M50i Mineral White w/DHP/DAP/DAPP/PAP/EP/Bowers&Wilkins/Ext Merino Leather/Glass Controls
8,501 Posts
If Steve Dinan sells it, I'm buying. DINAN (aka Carbahn) products are rock solid.

·
whughes
2,075 Posts
after steve Dinan sold DINAN, they went to shit (IMHO). they are trying to be all things to all cars. spread too thin. Steve Dinan started up CarBahn to give BMW owners some quality. I had the tune done to my 2018 M550. it is flat out violent when you engage launch control! it will push the skin back on your face when you launch! I love it. Had it done last sept. bought the warranty as well, but have not had the need to use it. I honestly think that the only thing that could challenge this car would be a tesla P90 plaid. I came up to a red light next to an audi S6, he was revving like he was going to take off at the light. I engaged launch control just as the light turned green, so he got the jump on me, when i popped the brake, I rocketed past him so fast it was unbelievable! He caught me at the next red light indicated to roll my window down and he shouted, What the F%*K do you have in that thing!!. other cars may have more hp, but they don't usually have 4 wheel drive, so you can get more hp to the tarmac!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone for the post! I have added optional warranty for peace of mind.

I can't wait to get it installed! Contacted local GA Dealer and I guess they are purchasing the controller for me, made an appointment with them for 8/29.

BTW with increased HP and TQ does it require specific oil weight? Been using genuine BMW 0W30

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Thank you everyone for the post! I have added optional warranty for peace of mind.

I can't wait to get it installed! Contacted local GA Dealer and I guess they are purchasing the controller for me, made an appointment with them for 8/29.

BTW with increased HP and TQ does it require specific oil weight? Been using genuine BMW 0W30
You will not require any different spec oil. Piggybacks in general are solid performance increases, but they are mild compared to bench ECU tunes. I went with the Dinan V.2 piggy back last year. It was pretty much the same price you are paying and also backed up the factory warranty. This doesn't mean that BMW looks the other way on the tune, it means if BMW determines that the tune caused an issue, they will deny the warranty work. When this happens, Dinan or Carbahn's warranty kicks in and they are supposed to pay. Dinan stopped including this warranty about 6 months ago and they reduced the price of their piggyback by $1,000.

What bugs me about Carbahn is the pricing. You can pay $1,000 with no warranty or $2,000 for a warranty for the same product. You either stand by your product or you don't. That's how I think about it.

Reactions: 540 M-Sport

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the Carbahn performance controller installed for my 2021 M550i today!!!

Downloaded the tuning pro app and got the controller connected but the stock and 93 tune dosent make a difference at all....??????

I am not sure what could have gone wrong but i am honestly not impressed at all. May need to speak with Carbahn and dealer but something seems off. Feels like the tune is not on my car

·
whughes
2,075 Posts
I got the CarBahn tune on my 2018 M550i, it is amazing, absolutely violent launch. The skin on your face gets pushed back! This thing could take a hellcat! I had an Audi S6 pull up next to me at a red light, when the light turned green he took off, so he got a carlength before i realized he was going to do that. I punched it and blew by him so fast! he pulled up next to me at the next light and shouted " What the F#$K you have in that thing"!. So if you are not feeling a difference go back to the dealer, something is wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
after piggy back is installed how do I use the tuning pro app? What are the steps? Keeps saying can’t connect and connection failed
I’m having this same issue. Everything is connected in engine bay but when I try to use app after putting in my serial number it keeps saying I can’t connect. I’m so frustrated I emailed the software team and he keeps telling me to do everything I’ve already done…

1 - 9 of 9 Posts