Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum for posting, although have been a stalker for a some 5 years :). Have a year old F32 435D Xdrive with 18K miles on the clock so thought I would share my experience. Great car, love it, amazing balance of power, economy and every day car.

Recently had the warning light come on twice with an error with the front transmission and go into reduced power mode but would reset when the car was turned off and on again and then the engine fault light came on 3 days ago. Took it into BMW garage and it has just been returned after having a brand new inlet manifold fitted under warranty due to excessive CBU.

I have read that the older 335D had this problem but in BMW words it looked like a car that had about 60K on the clock of town trips. The trouble is I drive fast, hard and almost every journey I do is over 45 minutes so this surely is an issue with the engine. Just wanted views.

For information when they ran tests the faults where logged for Charge Pressure, Air Mass and EGR system. Ran further tests for charge pressure and swirl flap actuation, carried out ISID test procedure and found ports were actuating slowly when opening and closing. When removed inlet manifold found heavy sooting that needed manifold replacement.

It is interesting as I bought the car with 6K mile on it and after this work it feels better than it ever did, it used to jolt in sport mode and this got steadily worse and got louder when on idle on start up about 1K miles before the engine fault light came on.

Obviously BMW have sorted it and that is great but slightly concerned it could be back within 12 months given this experience. I know the 4 Series is relatively new but anyone else had this experience with the 435D

·
HerrDoktorProfessor
3,648 Posts
Unfortunately, most of us here are yanks and we don't get the 435d here. It is shocking that you have CBU in just 18k miles. More shocking that BMW can't seem to fix this obvious engineering problem after 6 years. You might try over in the dedicated diesel section.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, appreciated and did not know the 4 series was not available in the US!!. I thought I would share as I believe this engine is also the same in the 335D including components so hopefully may help others if they get the same symptoms. Incredible that if not under warranty that work at 18K miles would have cost $1600.
Did not realise there was a dedicated section to diesel section. Nice colour car BTW!.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bought my wife a new 2013 35d in February of 2013. Last December CEL came on and was taken for service.
Diagnosis was CBU. BMW had the vehicle for 42 days. New intake, walnut blasted, new EGR cooler, new egr valve, swirl flaps were replaced, and a motor associated with swirl flaps. The service dept said the vehicle's engine looked like it had 100000 miles on it, while only having 14,500.
Almost $6000 worth of repairs had it not been under warranty. So as of 2 days ago we no longer own this vehicle. After much questioning I could not get a straight answer as to how to prevent this from reoccurring, both locally and from corporate.

BMW has a flawed product in their US diesels and apparently this is not an easy fix.
Best of luck with your situation. Hope your outcome is better than mine.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks for the response, appreciated and did not know the 4 series was not available in the US!!. I thought I would share as I believe this engine is also the same in the 335D including components so hopefully may help others if they get the same symptoms.
No you missed his point - the 4 series is available here, the big 35D diesel is not. They dont even give us the 30D diesel motor, they only offer what you call the 20D diesel but they rename it the 28D so it does not sound wimpy.

·
Banned
1,988 Posts
Well you have the newer engine (N57) vs the (M57) in the older 335d. Current diesel car offerings in the US are the 320d and 530d (BMW badges them as the 328d and 535d)

What is your average speed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks KneeDragr andF 32Fleet for the clarification, now I understand. That seems crazy but that's car makers for you. Seems like the newer N57 has exactly the same issues with CBU as the old model then. Great. Used to have a 330D with 160K miles on the clock and never had an issue at all.

You guys over there definitely need to be offered the bigger engines!

Can you clarify the average speed question?

·
Registered
451 Posts
OP you may find more help on bimmerpost.com. I think there are more Europeans on that forum who may have dealt with Diesel engines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought my wife a new 2013 35d in February of 2013. Last December CEL came on and was taken for service.
Diagnosis was CBU. BMW had the vehicle for 42 days. New intake, walnut blasted, new EGR cooler, new egr valve, swirl flaps were replaced, and a motor associated with swirl flaps. The service dept said the vehicle's engine looked like it had 100000 miles on it, while only having 14,500.
Almost $6000 worth of repairs had it not been under warranty. So as of 2 days ago we no longer own this vehicle. After much questioning I could not get a straight answer as to how to prevent this from reoccurring, both locally and from corporate.

BMW has a flawed product in their US diesels and apparently this is not an easy fix.
Best of luck with your situation. Hope your outcome is better than mine.
Luckily mine was diagnosed and sorted within 3 days with a new inlet manifold which apparently on my model includes the swirl flaps etc, so that is good but not good an engine with so few miles that does mostly motorway miles has this issue. It is a shame customers have to consider giving up their cars due to issues like this. I had a 2006 330D Touring before, after 8 years and 160K miles it was still a great car and only issue was door actuators and finally the logic amp went.

Car feels so much better even than when I bought it with 5K miles on the clock so have to wait and see if I am back in with the same problem in another 12 months.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See this thread
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819426
BMW really ought to step up and extend the warranty on these engines. This is poor for a company whose middle name is "Motor"
Thanks for the link and totally agree with the extended warranty, to many out there with similar CBU issues and BMW should take it very seriously given a number of long term BMW owners are considering moving away. Not good

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OP you may find more help on bimmerpost.com. I think there are more Europeans on that forum who may have dealt with Diesel engines.
Thanks for the guidance, I will check it out as never realised there were so many variances in the BMW specs you have available in the US compared to us, but you learn something new everyday :)

·
HerrDoktorProfessor
3,648 Posts
There seems to be a lot of debate as to what it will actually cost to clean out the CBU for people without warranties. speculation has it any where from $1500-$7500. Obviously that is a huge difference.
At $1500 I'm inclined to skip the extended warranty keep my car and think of this as a maintenance issue I have to deal with every 50-70k miles. That is manageable. However, $7500 is absurd. That is 1/3 the value of the typical car that needs the service. At anything close to that I'm dumping the car.

There is also debate as to whether the various extended warranties will cover the CBU.

I love my 335d. It is a blast to drive. But there are lots of fun cars out there that don't give you a $7500 anal rape every 50k miles.

·
Banned
1,988 Posts
Thanks KneeDragr andF 32Fleet for the clarification, now I understand. That seems crazy but that's car makers for you. Seems like the newer N57 has exactly the same issues with CBU as the old model then. Great. Used to have a 330D with 160K miles on the clock and never had an issue at all.

Can you clarify the average speed question?
I was just wondering if you were driving motorways or mostly urban/slow speed.

My guess is that unlike your previous diesel this one requires higher usage of EGR in order to meet your newer emissions.

The US model of the 335d had DEF and some believe was the test bed for Europe since our emissions regs were similar to your newest regs.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There seems to be a lot of debate as to what it will actually cost to clean out the CBU for people without warranties. speculation has it any where from $1500-$7500. Obviously that is a huge difference.
At $1500 I'm inclined to skip the extended warranty keep my car and think of this as a maintenance issue I have to deal with every 50-70k miles. That is manageable. However, $7500 is absurd. That is 1/3 the value of the typical car that needs the service. At anything close to that I'm dumping the car.

There is also debate as to whether the various extended warranties will cover the CBU.

I love my 335d. It is a blast to drive. But there are lots of fun cars out there that don't give you a $7500 anal rape every 50k miles.
This is a good debate, from what I have read then the CBU is mainly built up in the inlet manifold, restricted the air intake etc therefore based on current experience and as I asked BMW directly how much I would have paid if not in warranty for the replacement inlet manifold which on mine includes the swirl pot actuators etc. Then I would have mine completely replaced, in the UK with a BMW main dealer this would have been £1200 pounds around $1800 dollars all inclusive of parts and labour.

In the UK they also offer discounted labour charges for cars over 4 years old so would probably be about $1600 dollars which given the completely wild quotes for having the CBU cleaned range from $1500 to $7500 as your post then this would seem like then most cost effective process, unless cleaning includes other parts that can build up with Carbon like the valves. Only concern I would have is that every 70K miles would be great but mine had only done 18K so that is one expensive maintenance item to think about in the future.

Love the car, it is awesome in performance and practicality but even when I drive hard most days in sport mode it still returns 42-45 mpg which you just cannot beat for something that does 0-60 MPH in 4.7 seconds. Love the deep sea blue colour on yours, they do not have that option in the UK.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was just wondering if you were driving motorways or mostly urban/slow speed.

My guess is that unlike your previous diesel this one requires higher usage of EGR in order to meet your newer emissions.

The US model of the 335d had DEF and some believe was the test bed for Europe since our emissions regs were similar to your newest regs.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Nearly all motorway mileage 70 mile per hour plus and been doing a similar commute for the last 15 years and never had an issue with previous BMW Diesel cars. But your comment on a higher EGR is probably accurate as this has a much lower emission rate than previous ones and the soot has to go somewhere I guess?

·
East Coast Commuter
4,610 Posts

Agreed. Once the Diesel engine issues started becoming known, I dumped my 335d with 15k miles and swore I would not buy another BMW diesel.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Diesel isnt as appealing in the states as its about 20% more expensive for about 25% better efficiency. If you drive on the highway a lot, you can come out farther ahead than that though. My understanding is that overseas it is not more expensive at the pump like it is here.

Here the only big market for diesel is for trucks that tow, because of the enormous low end torque they offer in comparison to a gas engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Diesel isnt as appealing in the states as its about 20% more expensive for about 25% better efficiency. If you drive on the highway a lot, you can come out farther ahead than that though. My understanding is that overseas it is not more expensive at the pump like it is here.

Here the only big market for diesel is for trucks that tow, because of the enormous low end torque they offer in comparison to a gas engine.
Been to the US a number of times, love it and believe me if fuel in the UK was as cheap as you guys it would be petrol every day or the week for me too, currently about $1.79 per litre in UK so $7.16 per US Gallon. We even have to pay additional road tax every year on top of fuel where yours is in the price of fuel, all these things combined make Diesel a very good choice in the UK. It has been good to understand the major differences with US and UK highlighted in this thread, always good to be better informed :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts