BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Official information and group buy thread for Aerowerke front splitter, decklid, wing:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309040

And here is the development thread:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233015

Wanted to spread the word on what has been going on over at zpost for those who don't also frequent that forum. There is a group buy that is being organized for those interested in high quality, and affordable aerodynamic performance pieces for the Z4 and the Z4M. :thumbup:

Here are a few photos:

· Lap Dog
1,226 Posts
So can you tell a difference in downforce at high speed with the front splitter? Does it alter the high-speed handling characteristics of the car in any noticeable way?

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So can you tell a difference in downforce at high speed with the front splitter? Does it alter the high-speed handling characteristics of the car in any noticeable way?
Yes, there has been noticeable performance gains made with this splitter. Myself and Palantirion have both tested the splitter on track days and have noted real performance gains including increased grip, improved control, and higher cornering speeds. I will search for some quotes from Palantirion where he has reported the gains make with this splitter on this and other forms. For those unfamiliar, Palantirion drives likely the best set up Z4M around, and has a large amount of track experience with it. (his is the silver one pictured above)

· Registered
237 Posts
Yes, there has been noticeable performance gains made with this splitter. Myself and Palantirion have both tested the splitter on track days and have noted real performance gains including increased grip, improved control, and higher cornering speeds. I will search for some quotes from Palantirion where he has reported the gains make with this splitter on this and other forms. For those unfamiliar, Palantirion drives likely the best set up Z4M around, and has a large amount of track experience with it. (his is the silver one pictured above)
What the best setup around? Man I thought that was my Z4 MC. :bawling: Mine is setup pretty good too. i got to drive Palantirion's car and his is money for sure! I love it, if he just had race seats. Come on Earl you know you want to.

The rear deck lid looks great how much does it weight and how much does the stock one weigh? What about doing a hood with vents? There again is only Varis and way expensive. I wish you this around earlier i would not have wasted my money on the Varis piece. It was so much more expensive and more involved. Yours is perfect! Great Job.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What the best setup around? Man I thought that was my Z4 MC. :bawling: Mine is setup pretty good too. i got to drive Palantirion's car and his is money for sure! I love it, if he just had race seats. Come on Earl you know you want to.

The rear deck lid looks great how much does it weight and how much does the stock one weigh? What about doing a hood with vents? There again is only Varis and way expensive. I wish you this around earlier i would not have wasted my money on the Varis piece. It was so much more expensive and more involved. Yours is perfect! Great Job.
Thanks for the compliments deknight, and your car is definitely very well set up too! You have the aerodynamic compliments already in place, something Earl is behind you on for now ;). The stock rear deck lid weighed around 40 lbs., this only being the metal structure which was used to make the mold. I cannot remember the exact weight, but I will weight it in the next few days and post up an exact number. This fiberglass piece weighs 11.5 lbs. A vented hood is definitely next on the to do list. I'm going to wait and see how these parts do first to determine if there is actually enough of a market to warrant making one. Hopefully there is a healthy market and I can next make a hood, roof, fenders, doors, bumpers, etc...

· Registered
237 Posts
Thanks for the compliments deknight, and your car is definitely very well set up too! You have the aerodynamic compliments already in place, something Earl is behind you on for now ;). The stock rear deck lid weighed around 40 lbs., this only being the metal structure which was used to make the mold. I cannot remember the exact weight, but I will weight it in the next few days and post up an exact number. This fiberglass piece weighs 11.5 lbs. A vented hood is definitely next on the to do list. I'm going to wait and see how these parts do first to determine if there is actually enough of a market to warrant making one. Hopefully there is a healthy market and I can next make a hood, roof, fenders, doors, bumpers, etc...
Fenders and Doors??:thumbup::rofl: Oh man dreams do come true, well almost. I sure hope you get the sales you need on these parts cause getting the body parts for a full lightweight Z4MC would be so amazing. This car is so good, that would make it nearly unbeatable.

· Z4 Mvangelist
4,297 Posts
The only disadvantage - besides having to change my shock settings and tire pressures to compensate for the hyper-quick turn-in at high speeds - is that the splitter makes enough downforce that with my current ride height and speeds over 100mph the front of the car is pulled down enough that my front tires have worn away the plastic rivets that keep the top sides of the bumper cover aligned. So the top corners of my bumper cover pop out. I could raise the car (a lot), but I like the current ride height and the handling with the Cg as-is. I'm looking into a way to affix the bumper cover corners without sinking screws in from the outside.

· Registered
237 Posts
The only disadvantage - besides having to change my shock settings and tire pressures to compensate for the hyper-quick turn-in at high speeds - is that the splitter makes enough downforce that with my current ride height and speeds over 100mph the front of the car is pulled down enough that my front tires have worn away the plastic rivets that keep the top sides of the bumper cover aligned. So the top corners of my bumper cover pop out. I could raise the car (a lot), but I like the current ride height and the handling with the Cg as-is. I'm looking into a way to affix the bumper cover corners without sinking screws in from the outside.
That is exactly what happened with mine too. I think it is a little better with the Toyo's since the 255's are 35/18 instead of the Nitto's with are 245/40/18's. The smaller diameter means less damage. I cannot believe how good (i know i am repeating myself) those front splitters parts turned out and how awesome they work. Talk about bang for your buck.

I think they put down more force than my Varis, but I also run the front undertray diffuser which adds to mine so now I think it is equal. Of course that is pure speculation, but it sure feels that way from driving your car Earl.

· Z4 Mvangelist
4,297 Posts
Update:

Group buy on splitters is up to 5 people as of now
-Btw, make SURE you include stainless steel hardware (fasteners AND mounting plates) on these finished kits. I had to replace my fasteners due to corrosion, and I saw surface rust on the mounting plates (even though we painted them thoroughly) when I had my bumper off last week.

· Registered
331 Posts
Are there any pictures of the splitter attachment underneath the car? I am curious how far back the piece extends beneath. Is the splitter adjustable as in fore-aft placement to modify the amount of downforce?

· Registered
237 Posts
Update:

Group buy on splitters is up to 5 people as of now
Will the rear deck lid handle a wing attached? I have an APR GT wing that i would want to attach to your light weight rear deck lid and want to make sure that your deck lid will not crack and can hold the weight and pressure of the wing.

Can it?

· Z4 Mvangelist
4,297 Posts
Will the rear deck lid handle a wing attached? I have an APR GT wing that i would want to attach to your light weight rear deck lid and want to make sure that your deck lid will not crack and can hold the weight and pressure of the wing.

Can it?
-Not unless it has been significantly reinforced since I saw it. But that goes for the hinge and latch mount points too. I believe (DarkSchitzer can comment better than I on this) that the molds would need to be reworked for proper reinforcement.

· Autofabricationilizer !
247 Posts
-Not unless it has been significantly reinforced since I saw it. But that goes for the hinge and latch mount points too. I believe (DarkSchitzer can comment better than I on this) that the molds would need to be reworked for proper reinforcement.
True to a point.....if the weight of the deck-lid is too be kept at its bare minimum...a mount design that allows the wing stanchions to rest (once shut)..on additional interior stanchions so that the entire down force would be transferred to the trunk floor and NOT on the deck-lid.

If its to be used more on the street or as a daily....the YES...more deck-lid reinforcement is needed but could easily add another 1/3 weight or more...still not a biggie.

Al....are you out there ?????:dunno:

· Registered
237 Posts
True to a point.....if the weight of the deck-lid is too be kept at its bare minimum...a mount design that allows the wing stanchions to rest (once shut)..on additional interior stanchions so that the entire down force would be transferred to the trunk floor and NOT on the deck-lid.

If its to be used more on the street or as a daily....the YES...more deck-lid reinforcement is needed but could easily add another 1/3 weight or more...still not a biggie.

Al....are you out there ?????:dunno:
Good info i wonder why HBspeed has not responded yet. I really want to put this on my Christmas list but need to clear that up first. I would want to know if he could add the necessary re-inforcement so i have a ready to install lid.

· Registered
194 Posts
Are there any pictures of the splitter attachment underneath the car? I am curious how far back the piece extends beneath. Is the splitter adjustable as in fore-aft placement to modify the amount of downforce?
I have the same question....How's the splitter attached to the front bumper? Is it glued or does it use brackets? Any drilling required? Is it adjustable?

Michael

· Registered
831 Posts
Something makes me skeptical of that, you would think you would dive in the front a lot more under braking then you would from downforce.

I know the parts your talking about though, I'ts pretty close there if you have wide wheels/tires/lowered.

HBspeed, ever feel like you want black stoptechs instead of reds? caughtradecaugh

· Z4 Mvangelist
4,297 Posts
Something makes me skeptical of that, you would think you would dive in the front a lot more under braking then you would from downforce.

I know the parts your talking about though, I'ts pretty close there if you have wide wheels/tires/lowered.

HBspeed, ever feel like you want black stoptechs instead of reds? caughtradecaugh
-My Z stays very flat under brakes with my StopTech 4-piston setup and HT-10 pads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.