BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my very inexpensive answer to checked cracks in my wood finishes
Carbon fiber style vinyl 2.5 mil. 3M adhesive
4’ of this was $23 with shipping and a little time.
Its flexible when heated to do complex curves.
What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
I prefer the look of wood, but under the conditions you faced, you did an excellent job. The quality of your work looks first class.

·
"Wish You Were Here"
819 Posts
wow that looks awsome. :thumbup:

Let me guess....you got it from ebay? :)

I bought one sample sheet (of the same design) and didn't think it looked like CF too well. If i'm right that you bought this on ebay and from the same seller as i did, then i know for sure that they are also selling two other types of CF vinyls. In terms of the curvature of the panels how exactly did you heat these up? I'm interested in finding out because i might buy more sheets and do the same.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.
You do flat surfaces and and burnish it down, then heat the areas remaining with a hair dryer until warm. It takes some getting to know the product. It stretches quite well and its pretty easy stuff to work with. I'd get some extra to play with. Air bubbles or just the slightest speck of debris become glaring reflectors if you're not careful.

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
Quality of your work is good. I prefer wood over carbon fiber in e39. Also it looks weird that you did only central console, then why did you leave rest of them wood?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Very impressive job! do u have any high res close ups of the design? curious as to how close to CF it really looks like.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the compliments.
Here's a piece of this vinyl in a close up. Not real convincing as carbon fiber. I thought it had an interesting look all its own. I would actually much prefer the wood too, that's a few dollars away.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm

I don't know why the photo file was not attached to that last one. Strange, doesn't want to let me add that.

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Seriously dude, that looks kickass! I love it. :thumbup:

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
Got a link to your seller? I'd like to snag some myself. I have other plans for it :D

·
Registered
501 Posts
nicely done. looks very clean.

+1 on a solid color

·
"Wish You Were Here"
819 Posts
one more question: I'm assuming you took the pieces off then applied the vinyl? Or am i wrong?

How bout this: say I take these pieces off and buy the vinyl....if i shipped them to you would you be able to put everything together and ship it back? IF so, for how much? :D

·
I glow in the dark
580 Posts
looks sweet, excellent work on the quality. I was thinking the same.... you should make them and sell it here ^^ , I would be definately interested in a set let me know how much thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The pieces do have to be removed first, so the edges can be can be overlapped. I'm not really interested in doing this for someone else, although I appreciate the offer.
I would be very interested in seeing results though.

My car is a 97 528i, Glacier Green, 214000 miles, runs perfectly.
I have a total of $8,700 in this car, was a steal to buy at $6000 from, and so far $2700 in parts, small repairs and countless hours just cleaning and reconditioning.
It needed new rack and pinion and tie rods. I got the rack from a wreck, still good, bought new inner and outer tie rods and had it installed, total price $640 as opposed to dealer estimate of $2400. I have a friend who was a certified BMW tech and has a garage with all his tools at his house, what a resource. Here are some more pictures.

Added DEPO angel eyes, M style grille, new paint on hood and front. New taillights will probably be next along with clear side marker lenses.

Attachments

·
Underdog On Top
176 Posts
Perfect execution, but it doesn't really look much like Carbon Fiber, a solid color would look better
Ditto.

Great execution!
But the carbon-look material is not working for me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
same deal here...you should cut out that little rubber piece where the ash tray is...

mine looks a little different but same deal...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts