BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Nothing specific
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, a friend of mine damaged the panel on the back of my seats, which irritated me greatly. I had always intended to buy a new set of panels, but never got around to it.

Then, a few days ago over on E46Fanatics, Fiber Design posted a special deal on these carbon fiber seatbacks (follow the link below) - $150 off the regular price. "Wow," I thought, "I had no idea carbon fiber was that cheap nowadays." I've always thought it was kind of cool, so I ordered a pair.

Now I'm having second thoughts. I'm worried they'll look too ricey. What do you guys think? I have a black leather interior. My car is otherwise mostly stock, appearance-wise(except for a set of LeatherZ gauges), and I intend to keep it that way, so they may look out of place. On the other hand, they might look really good.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-62583348118863_1894_1496886

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
I'm not digging them on the gray seats in the pic, but on your black seats they might not stand out so bad... of course, now you realize you'll need to replace all your wood trim with metal or preferably carbon fiber to complete "the look"... ;)

·
Nothing specific
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, I have the silver trim already. I agree, they would look weird with wood.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
ROFL. The car in the pic has a slushie. How appropriate- a pointless cosmetic mod on a car with a slushbox.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
:rofl: : popcorn:

·
Nothing specific
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TD said:
ROFL. The car in the pic has a slushie. How appropriate- a pointless cosmetic mod on a car with a slushbox.
I think it's an SMG, actually - look at the paddles.

And let me ask you this: how long did you spend deciding on a color for you car? Did you pay extra for metallic paint? How is that anything but pointless cosmetics?

·
Nothing specific
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No one else has any opinions? I don't want to post this over on Fanatics, I know what they'll say there...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think the key is do YOU like it. I mean we would probably never get to ride in your car... so do you think it's worth it? How much are the OE replacements? I love CF parts as much as the next guy, but I am not sure it would be worth $300 to me for it to be in a place that I would never see them.

·
Nothing specific
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, that's the thing, the OEM replacement panels are something like $350 when purchased from the dealership, so getting these for $300 is moderately cheaper. Normally, they're $450, but Fiber Design is moving their warehouse, or something.

And I won't know if I like them until they arrive next week and I put them in - in the meantime, I'm wondering if any other people have opinions (perhaps because they've seen them installed in other cars).

·
Registered
336 Posts
It all boils down to YOU. Install them and see if they suit your taste. Personally, I do not like the look. As someone on this thread mentioned, its too not subtle. The shine and reflection that the CF inserts may produce are not my cup of tea. It seems like scratches would show fairly easily too.

On the plus side, your rear passengers won't have to ask to you to move so they can use the front vanity mirrors.:p

·
USMC ProCivEng
323 Posts
avalys,
I like them. Is Fiber Design still offering the $300 price? Their web site say $450. And I can't find it on Fanatics. Do you have a link?
Thnx

·
Registered
523 Posts
I really don't like them, but it depends on you. If you like them then go for it!

·
Registered
158 Posts
How hard is it to remove the panel on the back of the seats?

One of mine got damaged when the back seat was folded down, and the front seat was moved back into it. :mad:

Thx

1 - 20 of 22 Posts