BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been fighting VANOS codes, Camshaft codes etc....This all started to happen after I changed my oil on the last oil change. After I changed the oil within two hours I started throwing codes.

Like a stupid A$$ when I pulled the filter from the housing the cage must have came away with it and I threw it away. CRAP!!!!!

After throwing new sensors, camshaft, vanos solenoids and crankshaft sensors and still no dice I decided to check the cage and do another oil change. Maybe it wasn't seated properly since this all started after the oil change. Turns out Cage is gone....

At least I have all new sensors and such but could have avoided it if I was paying closer attention. I've read where other people have had their oil changed and the cage was discarded and they had the same issues. Apparently it affects the oil pressure in the car and drives the VANOS system crazy...

So please all, even novices be careful. Watch that cage.

It's 4th of July and I can't find one anywhere so I guess I'll have to drive it a another day until I can get one in locally..... Anyone in Eastern PA have an extra one they can part with????

Ugh.....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some call it that, it's the part on the actual twist/screw cap that the filter slides on. It can pull off the cap itself of not careful or mine just broke and came loose.

When I do oil changes I usually grab the old oily filter with a plastic bag and pull it off thus not looking at the filter as it falls into the bag. Irresponsible on my part and HUGE lesson learned.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Whoa - you mean the plastic extending below the cap that the filter fits onto?

Um, yes sir!!!! That's been the cause of all my problems!

I had zero codes before the first oil change and next day boom! Vanos codes galore! Lesson learned! Ugh....

I even told BMW service this during a call to them and they didn't even think to mention since it started after the oil change to double check the housing is in tact. Totally my fault

When I pulled my oil filter cap off yesterday I put my head down in total shame! Not to mention a few words shouted as well.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed Steve! I was getting helpless there for awhile. I love the car and want to keep it for another year and trade up but I was like.....I can't keep throwing sensors and money into it like this. The wife was getting pissed lol

·
Registered
356 Posts
One way to spot the error would have been that you had nowhere to fit the replacement small green o-ring...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One way to spot the error would have been that you had nowhere to fit the replacement small green o-ring...
True and sadly I don't replace it every change and that's what caused me to throw it away! Now moving forward! It will be changed period on each one!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nooo.. Well I'll be.. Get outa here! Thanks for sharing that. I would have never thought. I noticed that my oil seemed way dirtier than usual and I began getting Vanos codes which keep returning after clearing even after vanos solenoid replacement. I'd began thinking I might have that worn bearing ledge issue! Thanks again. I'll be replacing that cap STAT.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The cap shouldn't wear out. Make sure the o-ring is on it and that you replace it each oil change! The o-ring that is!

It helps control oil pressure in the system and that was my issue all along. I threw the cage that the filter attaches to the cap away at prior oil change, it didn't wear out or anything.

Good luck

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Boom that will fix it! Order it now bro! Codes will be gone!

I called our local BMW service and they had no idea what I was talking about.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BMW said it was most likely some Ecenteic sensor in the valve area. Like 7 hour job and the sensor was $480! Glad I figured out the cap which was $35!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was getting codes almost down to 15 miles after clearing them. Replaced the cage and cleared! Never returned! I hate limp mode but glad it was still drivable

1 - 18 of 18 Posts