BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new x3 owner and I was wondering how the bmw cargo area accessories are at the holding groceries from being thrown around.

A cargo net seems like it would be useful but I think I'd have to drill some holes.
Any suggestions on what to get would be welcome.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Depends

Depends I guess on which accessories you plan to use.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
The short answer is the net is a PITA to use IMHO so I just carry a box back there and put the bags etc in that. It is probably tacky but it is free and works a treat keeping things from rolling around and spilling. I do not have the fixed installation cargo barrier, which I suppose if you had big dogs might be useful.:angel:

·
Registered
142 Posts
For just groceries and stuff like that I just let them settle on their own or hook selective bags that I want to stay upright to the hook. I do have the rubber BMW cargo mat that I highly recommend. On top of that if I'm carrying something nasty like used oil, the grungy propane bottle from my BBQ, gas cans, etc. I put them in a tall Rubbermade tub so they don't get against the carpeted sides/hatch and if I have leak it will be contained. So far my cargo compartment is still pristine.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I am new x3 owner and I was wondering how the bmw cargo area accessories are at the holding groceries from being thrown around.
I use the collapsible boxes. Each has 3 compartments, each compartment about the size of a grocery bag. The box has a kind of carpeted bottom, so with the carpet side of the cargo area up, the box doesn't move even when loaded, kind of like velcro, except it doesn't have to be peeled off.

I have two in the back. One is always open, there's always something I'm carrying. The other is folded, so it takes minimal space, and I unfold it when I'm leaving the store with some groceries.

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemView.aspx?modelId=544&categoryId=42&productCategoryId=&menuId=1&subItemId=0&productId=179

I have some pictures somewhere of the boxes filled with groceries, I'll try to post them later.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The short answer is the net is a PITA to use IMHO so I just carry a box back there and put the bags etc in that. It is probably tacky but it is free and works a treat keeping things from rolling around and spilling.
I do the same thing. However, to lessen the tackiness, I use the cleanest box possible and I choose the printing on the box carefully. For example, I have one box with the Audi logo on it. I have another box that is pristine new. You can fold in the top flaps of the box so that it becomes a bin. You can also buy plastic bins, like the kind the TSA uses at airport checkpoints.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts