Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen a couple posts about this tool. I like that I can just plug it in and see results and do programming direct from iPad using wifi. The tool is about 75 bucks on Amazon and the full version app is 45 bucks.

I seen on some of the Amazon reviews that the diagnostic tool has limited functionality for pre I-drive cars (pre-2008). I seen a couple posts here that seem to say it will support my 2006.

Anybody have any feedback on Carly? Is it a full code reader and reset codes? Can I also do some programming (i.e. Raise top remotely from key fob, etc)?

Thanks!!

·
Proud Canadian, I'm Sorry
942 Posts
I tried the trial (lite) version on my android phone with both a cable and Bluetooth unit on my Z4 and Z3. I know others have rev ed about this, but if I was to judge based on the lite version, I'd say don;t waste your money.

The lite version barely worked on the Z3, and basically did nothing on the Z4 but try and sell me the full version. Not much to even read other than saying to upgrade the version.

Maybe others can chime in...

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have the Carly App for Android, and it's very easy to use. It codes 2 modules (LSZ and I think GM5? - Basically all the light functions and all the alarm, window, 'comfort' features). Very handy to use, and gives the BMW diagnostic codes for any errors, which you can reset as required. Don't think it does airbag reset, not sure as I haven't really checked.
I thought it was a bit overpriced until I compared it to the cost of just one visit to the dealer to do one bit of coding, and it works out pretty cheap.
I have INPA, and NCS Dummies, so can do all of this plus more, but I like the easy plug & play and user friendliness of Carly when I can't be bothered faffing about with a laptop and the more powerful software.
I use the same OBD cable I bought for INPA/NCS so can't comment on the Carly cable, or the Bluetooth option.
They seem to be constantly developing the software and adding modules, but not sure if they'll do more on the E85.

·
942 Posts
I have the Carly App for Android, and it's very easy to use. It codes 2 modules (LSZ and I think GM5? - Basically all the light functions and all the alarm, window, 'comfort' features). Very handy to use, and gives the BMW diagnostic codes for any errors, which you can reset as required. Don't think it does airbag reset, not sure as I haven't really checked.
I thought it was a bit overpriced until I compared it to the cost of just one visit to the dealer to do one bit of coding, and it works out pretty cheap.
I have INPA, and NCS Dummies, so can do all of this plus more, but I like the easy plug & play and user friendliness of Carly when I can't be bothered faffing about with a laptop and the more powerful software.
I use the same OBD cable I bought for INPA/NCS so can't comment on the Carly cable, or the Bluetooth option.
They seem to be constantly developing the software and adding modules, but not sure if they'll do more on the E85.
So based on this reply, I have downloaded the Carly Lite once again. (figured a newer version might be better).

What did I get....again, nothing, it states I have no ECU's to read, configure or whatnot.

So you are saying on your 2008 E85 the Carly works?

I have tried three different Android phones, and both Bluetooth and wired. Nothing....

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So based on this reply, I have downloaded the Carly Lite once again. (figured a newer version might be better).

What did I get....again, nothing, it states I have no ECM's to read, configure or whatnot.

So you are saying on your 2008 E85 the Carly works?

I have tried three different Android phones, and both bluetooth and wired. Nothing....

Does the app find the Carly device? In reading instructions, you first have to pair/locate device.

·
942 Posts
Does the app find the Carly device? In reading instructions, you first have to pair/locate device.
It pairs with my Bluetooth ODB2 device, but then nothing, via using cable it connects but basically does nothing.

It tries to read anything from the car, but states it can't find any ECM's to read. NO way I'd purchase the Pro version if the Lite version can't do anything on an E85.

I'll see if I can try and capture some screens and post them up.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I use the WiFi version of the 2nd revision of the Carly adapter with my iPhone.

On my iPhone I join the Carly WiFi network. When I launch the app and hit connect after about 20 seconds it finds the car's ECUs.

I have an F02 2014 so there are only two ECUs that I can program at the moment but they do a good job of updating the app.

jeff

·
942 Posts
It pairs with my Bluetooth ODB2 device, but then nothing, via using cable it connects but basically does nothing.

It tries to read anything from the car, but states it can't find any ECM's to read. NO way I'd purchase the Pro version if the Lite version can't do anything on an E85.

I'll see if I can try and capture some screens and post them up.
Here are a few of the screen shots I just did.

20160523_210002.jpg

Bluetooth not working for an E85

20160523_210136.jpg

Cable does work, and connects.

20160523_210749.jpg

Start of read
20160523_210649.jpg

More reading...nothing so far

20160523_210745.jpg
Do any work??

20160523_210749.jpg

Seems Carly Lite and the E85 do not like each other.

This same cable works perfectly with such programs such as Torque, Dash Command, ScanMaster for ELM327, etc. :dunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
Bucko521, that's interesting, as I trialed the lite version before buying the pro version, and the lite version worked fine for me.
What cable are you using - have you used it successfully on other software?
Are you using the adaptor that goes between the OBDII plug on the cable, and the OBDII socket in the car?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've tried Carly lite with a DCAN cable that I know works (on my '07 E85) and it will not connect. I am using the DCAN cable to female-to-female USB converter to iPhone lightning connector to iPhone 5S as my connectivity path. Is there any world in which that would work?

·
942 Posts
Bucko521, that's interesting, as I trialed the lite version before buying the pro version, and the lite version worked fine for me.
What cable are you using - have you used it successfully on other software?
Are you using the adaptor that goes between the OBDII plug on the cable, and the OBDII socket in the car?
I am using a quality OBD2 cable that runs all other types of software or hardware. I am using the exact setup that Carly sells. The cable that runs from my phone(s) to the USB cable end, also works with anything else I throw at it. So I know it is also not that cable.

What scares me is the one screen capture I posted prior that it says Bluetooth does not work with the E85/86 models. As the EM327 module I have has never failed to work in other cars including other BMW's. So I question if the Carly one is made differently, thus makes me wonder if their cable is made differently.

No way am I going to pay to 'trial' the pro version, and I don't need any more cables.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I am not using the Carly cable - just the one I bought on Ebay (that was recommended in a coding forum) for using with INPA, NCS etc. It needs the female/female adaptor between it and the OBD port on the car, but it works perfectly with Carly.
Not sure what's happening with yours Bucko521. I am running the Carly app on an old Acer Iconia tablet, as it has a full size USB port so I don't have to throw yet another adaptor into the mix. I didn't go with a bluetooth option for Carly as I already had the cable and knew it 'should' work (which fortunately it did).
I assume you are manually entering in your vehicle type, as the 'auto' find never works for me. It looked like it was showing the correct vehicle type on one of your screen shots. I'm not sure what else you can do, really.

·
942 Posts
I am not using the Carly cable - just the one I bought on Ebay (that was recommended in a coding forum) for using with INPA, NCS etc. It needs the female/female adaptor between it and the OBD port on the car, but it works perfectly with Carly.
Not sure what's happening with yours Bucko521. I am running the Carly app on an old Acer Iconia tablet, as it has a full size USB port so I don't have to throw yet another adaptor into the mix. I didn't go with a bluetooth option for Carly as I already had the cable and knew it 'should' work (which fortunately it did).
I assume you are manually entering in your vehicle type, as the 'auto' find never works for me. It looked like it was showing the correct vehicle type on one of your screen shots. I'm not sure what else you can do, really.
yes, my cable works elsewhere....and I do have to manually set type of car/model/year.

I might see if I can find another cable and give it one more go.

·
Registered
651 Posts
yes, my cable works elsewhere....and I do have to manually set type of car/model/year.

I might see if I can find another cable and give it one more go.
good luck.
One final stupid question: You do have the ignition in the 'on' position, not 'accessory'?
I have also read if it's not working you can try starting the car, ie, have the engine running and see if it connects.

·
942 Posts
good luck.
One final stupid question: You do have the ignition in the 'on' position, not 'accessory'?
I have also read if it's not working you can try starting the car, ie, have the engine running and see if it connects.
Not stupid....I did try both on and accessory.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts