BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I am planning to add a bike rack for my BMW X3 that can carry 4 bikes. Are hitch-mounted racks better or roof-mounted or will I need both, 2 on each?

We are probably looking at using it at least once or twice a month, post-COVID, throughout the year (to make the most of the year round sunshine here in SF Bay Area CA), so happy to invest in a sturdy one that will last long.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, experiences and pointers.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 110K miles NOKIAN WR G3 25K miles
21,409 Posts
Everyone that carries expensive bikes on a roof rack will sooner than later wipe them off the rack. And they are a terrible hit on mileage.

Four bikes can be carried on a Draftmaster by ATOC. It touches the vehicle only at the receiver.

http://atoc.com/draftmastermain.php

Attachments

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hitch for sure. I installed the ecohitch stealth myself 2weeks ago. Class 3 hitch. For a bike rack only so no wiring is involved. It’s removable so you can keep the stock look. YouTube x3 hitch and you will see lots of videos on different type of hitches. Mine was $370. $30 off as they had a sale. A better hitch is Stealth hitch for the x3. The attachment goes on and off with just a key and a turn. But at $600 just for the hitch. That’s expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts