BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 BMW 328i Sedan
I have 3 CAS codes car wont crank or start..CODES CAS AOBE terminal 15 output 1, AOBF term 15 output2, and CAS CODE AOCO term 15 output 3..we could not activate terminal 15 which George on here says activates CAS relay to turn starter on..I think the antitheft is locked..no KEY symbol shown on DASH and no lit on GEAR SELECTOR and NO PARK symbol on DASH..
CAN u just realign the CAS to ECU or do i need a new CAS module?????..any help appreciated.
George also gave me CAS fuse diagrams on here but the web site is not gratis anymore and charges one to view.

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
3,760 Posts
2008 BMW 328i Sedan I have 3 CAS codes car wont crank or start..CODES CAS AOBE terminal 15 output 1, AOBF term 15 output2, and CAS CODE AOCO term 15 output 3...no KEY symbol shown on DASH and no lit on GEAR SELECTOR and NO PARK symbol on DASH...George also gave me CAS fuse diagrams on here but the web site is not gratis anymore and charges one to view.
Yes, NewTIS.info CLOSED on 10/8/2020, so no more FREE TIS/ISTA Documents, and since what I provided BEFORE 10/8 was a LINK to NewTIS.info site, REDO time. ;)
Attached are the following related to your 2008 328i E90:
1) CAS Wiring Diagram (SSP), ISTA ScreenPrints (3), showing TWO fuses powering CAS Module:
a) F55, 5-Amp Fuse providing Power to the CAS Electronics;
b) F36, 40-Amp Fuse providing Power to CAS Load circuits, such as Starter Activation (which is KL50, NOT KL15);
2) Bentley Manual Fuse Chart jpg, TWO Pages, for 2008 & Later E9x Models, including your 328i.

If the Starter will NOT Crank, or turn the engine, then there is an issue with the CAS Module Power supply including fuses, the Cas Module itself, or something related to the CAS Module, such as the Remote Key Insert Compartment, etc. I would suggest checking those two fuses, F55 & F36, and reporting back. When you DO report back, PLEASE indicate:
1) What Scan Tool is available to you;
2) If BMW Software, such as INPA or ISTA is available to you;
3) If you have a Windows OS Laptop;
4) If you or anyone there willing to help is able to install INPA/ISTA software on your laptop. I can provide free download site link.

It would make diagnosis of your CAS issue MUCH simpler if you had INPA. However, even if you do NOT, and are unable to install it, there are still tests that can be done to narrow the search for the CAUSE of your No-Crank issue. INSPECT the two fuses visually. Please TEST the two fuses electrically, and report back for MORE tests.

Text Line Diagram Font Design
Text Floor plan Line Technical drawing Diagram
Text Line Diagram Font Floor plan
Text Document Font Paper
Text Document

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
George.
.gosh thank u so much..something is not right here as my fuse panel looks different than Bently..( the fuse panel behind glovebox)..I dont recall seeing any 40 amp fuses either, but will check tomorrow. KL30g relay is what this kid pulled out, and then Jumped a wire in its prong slots ..thats when the BMW got messed up. After he did that and jumped battery in trunk~~All the lites came on and stayed on with car OFF.... Also the wipers but i pulled the 30amp fuse to turn them off I sent the footwell module out for repair and they couldn't fix it.

I dont have INPA or Ista..no one really here to help me and am limited with $. Some auto electrical guy was going to come, but he refuses to scan if I don't have the footwell module installed..The neg battery cable makes a huge spark with that footwell module connected, so i'm not putting that back in. it make the headlights, brakelites and dome and fog lites stay on all the time,cant shut off.

An old mechanic friend came out and scanned with his scanner but it showed 3 CAS codes i listed above, even after clearing codes and resetting. he didnt have INPA or ISTA. plus he was not feeling well at all.

I am okay mechanical wise, but electrical wise ; forget it. .I did test all the fuse panel fuses months ago with battery out and they all showed continuity. Do u mean testing them for voltage with battery installed and key off (out of slot)?

I will get back to you tomorrow. I have a major headache from this lemon not starting :( Thanks again..

someone on line told me to ship them my key, the cas module, and ecu .He claims they lost synch or memory and the anti theft is activated when kid jumped k30 relay????

I attached pic of similiar fusebox like mine~. cant find one anywhere in Bently to match???

I have WINDOWS 8 on my laptop.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, NewTIS.info CLOSED on 10/8/2020, so no more FREE TIS/ISTA Documents, and since what I provided BEFORE 10/8 was a LINK to NewTIS.info site, REDO time. ;)
Attached are the following related to your 2008 328i E90:
1) CAS Wiring Diagram (SSP), ISTA ScreenPrints (3), showing TWO fuses powering CAS Module:
a) F55, 5-Amp Fuse providing Power to the CAS Electronics;
b) F36, 40-Amp Fuse providing Power to CAS Load circuits, such as Starter Activation (which is KL50, NOT KL15);
2) Bentley Manual Fuse Chart jpg, TWO Pages, for 2008 & Later E9x Models, including your 328i.

If the Starter will NOT Crank, or turn the engine, then there is an issue with the CAS Module Power supply including fuses, the Cas Module itself, or something related to the CAS Module, such as the Remote Key Insert Compartment, etc. I would suggest checking those two fuses, F55 & F36, and reporting back. When you DO report back, PLEASE indicate:
1) What Scan Tool is available to you;
2) If BMW Software, such as INPA or ISTA is available to you;
3) If you have a Windows OS Laptop;
4) If you or anyone there willing to help is able to install INPA/ISTA software on your laptop. I can provide free download site link.

It would make diagnosis of your CAS issue MUCH simpler if you had INPA. However, even if you do NOT, and are unable to install it, there are still tests that can be done to narrow the search for the CAUSE of your No-Crank issue. INSPECT the two fuses visually. Please TEST the two fuses electrically, and report back for MORE tests.

View attachment 1016479 View attachment 1016480 View attachment 1016481 View attachment 1016482 View attachment 1016483
HI GEORGE...I'm going to ask for more help here..My radio doesnt work when i insert KEY in slot, nor does the KEY SYMBOL lit up on dash???Also, why do I have NO PARK SYMBOL on DASH or Gear selector switch??

Some auto electrician is coming to look at car..Do u think my KEY is bad? I know I have 3 CAS MODULE CODES..but what is terminal 15..all of them have terminal 15 as a CODE outputs 1, 2, 3. AOBF, CAS CODE AOBE, AND CAS CODE AOCO.Is there is relay for terminal 15?

I replaced 2 CAS RELAYS..one in glovebox and one under hood passenger side
NEW BATTERY, but I did not program
New Starter..still NO CRANK NO START
this is very frustrating.i'm going to show the guy all you sent me here

BOTH CAS FUSES are good with CONTINUITY.,.do i have to check them with BATTERY attached instead?
I have WINDOWS 8 can that accept the free INDY program?
Do u think my KEy is bad?
MY scanner is a handheld CREATOR 510.. you had asked me these questions previously
thanks

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
3,760 Posts
... [2008 328i E90] My radio doesn't work when i insert KEY in slot, nor does the KEY SYMBOL lit up on dash... I have NO PARK SYMBOL on DASH or Gear selector switch?? Some auto electrician is coming to look at car..Do u think my KEY is bad?... I have 3 CAS MODULE CODES... A0BF, A0BE, AND A0C0. [Those are ZERO's, NOT Letter O :)] Is there is relay for terminal 15?

I replaced 2 CAS RELAYS..one in glovebox and one under hood passenger side. NEW BATTERY, but I did not program; New Starter..still NO CRANK NO START [I presume you replaced the 30G relay on the JB Fuse panel (LARGE black relay on right side) and VVT Relay in the E-box? The 30G relay (IO1068 on CAS diagram) is activated by the CAS Module (when CAS works ;-), and the VVT Relay is activated by the KL15 "Ignition" Relay (IO1069) built into the JB which is ALSO activated by CAS Module. Need to Focus on CAS NON-function, and solve THAT FIRST]
Unfortunately, someone who understands general Auto Electrical Systems is NOT equipped to diagnose your issue. Your CAS Module appears to be Totally Dysfunctional, or nearly so. You need to have someone who UNDERSTANDS how the CAS functions to test that. That person also needs PROPER test equipment. Best way I know to do that is using INPA or ISTA. Each of those BMW Diagnostic Software packages can test "Terminal Control" function within the CAS Module.

Here are some things that MUST happen when you enter the car and start it when it is operating properly (and Battery charged/connected):
1) Remote Key radio signal should Lock/Unlock the door locks; Key battery must be charged to send radio signal;
2) When you Unlock or Open the Driver Door, the Fuel Pump should prime (run for several seconds);
3) The Light beside "P" on the Gear Indicator Light next to Shift Lever should come on (vehicle "awake"); START button should also illuminate;
4) Insert Remote Key in Insert Compartment (without pressing START button) and Key symbol should appear on Instrument Cluster with driver door open; Radio Panel should light; Brake Lights should work when Brake pedal is pressed; THAT is "Terminal R" active when testing "Terminal Control"; Key Battery does NOT need to be charged for these things to happen; CAS Module recognizes "chip" in key without ANY transmission of radio signal by Remote Key;

Apparently NONE of those things listed above, related to CAS Function are happening, but perform each test slowly and methodically, and RECORD/ Report your test results. Check the TWO fuses, F36 & F55, both visually and electrically. Make sure there is 12V+ to the fuse socket for each fuse. Remove the Connectors from the CAS Module and test visually and electrically for Pin/socket damage and for power supply & ground at appropriate Pins.

I'll attach ISTA Documents to Next Post to give you MORE information needed by anyone trying to diagnose the issue. It would be easy to simply say "Your CAS is Toast/ Fried/ Bricked" or other non-specific terms that basically say: "I don't have a clue, and don't know how to test the Module, so I'll just blame the module". THAT MAY be the case; your CAS Module MAY have internal electronic faults that render it irreparable, but you need to eliminate or test for other possible wiring or power supply faults BEFORE pulling the Module out and opening it up for autopsy.

Good luck,
George

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, someone who understands general Auto Electrical Systems is NOT equipped to diagnose your issue. Your CAS Module appears to be Totally Dysfunctional, or nearly so. You need to have someone who UNDERSTANDS how the CAS functions to test that. That person also needs PROPER test equipment. Best way I know to do that is using INPA or ISTA. Each of those BMW Diagnostic Software packages can test "Terminal Control" function within the CAS Module.

Here are some things that MUST happen when you enter the car and start it when it is operating properly (and Battery charged/connected):
1) Remote Key radio signal should Lock/Unlock the door locks; Key battery must be charged to send radio signal;
2) When you Unlock or Open the Driver Door, the Fuel Pump should prime (run for several seconds);
3) The Light beside "P" on the Gear Indicator Light next to Shift Lever should come on (vehicle "awake"); START button should also illuminate;
4) Insert Remote Key in Insert Compartment (without pressing START button) and Key symbol should appear on Instrument Cluster with driver door open; Radio Panel should light; Brake Lights should work when Brake pedal is pressed; THAT is "Terminal R" active when testing "Terminal Control"; Key Battery does NOT need to be charged for these things to happen; CAS Module recognizes "chip" in key without ANY transmission of radio signal by Remote Key;

Apparently NONE of those things listed above, related to CAS Function are happening, but perform each test slowly and methodically, and RECORD/ Report your test results. Check the TWO fuses, F36 & F55, both visually and electrically. Make sure there is 12V+ to the fuse socket for each fuse. Remove the Connectors from the CAS Module and test visually and electrically for Pin/socket damage and for power supply & ground at appropriate Pins.

I'll attach ISTA Documents to Next Post to give you MORE information needed by anyone trying to diagnose the issue. It would be easy to simply say "Your CAS is Toast/ Fried/ Bricked" or other non-specific terms that basically say: "I don't have a clue, and don't know how to test the Module, so I'll just blame the module". THAT MAY be the case; your CAS Module MAY have internal electronic faults that render it irreparable, but you need to eliminate or test for other possible wiring or power supply faults BEFORE pulling the Module out and opening it up for autopsy.

Good luck,
George
Hi GEORGE the guy found a short in the fuse box that connect to the CAS relay...some hope in sight :) :) :) and he worked at BMW thank god

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi GEORGE the guy found a short in the fuse box that connect to the CAS relay...some hope in sight :) :) :) and he worked at BMW thank god
Hi George I forwarded the info you sent to this guy helping me with my BMW 2008 328i..Do u mind if he connects with you at some pint? also, do u have that INDY download???? many thanks Gail

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Good luck,
George
Hi George yes i replaced the 30g relay on fusebox (black CAS 4 prong relay and one under hood) what is a VTT relay? it has the same part # as the black CAS relay on JB on upper right...the guy working on car said the big black relay (CAS) relay 30G on fusebox has no ground..dont know why..he said he opened the fusebox(JB) and a relay was burnt out inside the fusebox ..maybe that is the 15 one you are talking about..

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi George yes i replaced the 30g relay on fusebox (black CAS 4 prong relay and one under hood) what is a VTT relay? it has the same part # as the black CAS relay on JB on upper right...the guy working on car said the big black relay (CAS) relay 30G on fusebox has no ground..dont know why..he said he opened the fusebox(JB) and a relay was burnt out inside the fusebox ..maybe that is the 15 one you are talking about..
AMEN THE BMW IS FINIALLY RUNNING THANK GOD..THE FUSE PANEL WAS BAD INSIDE..had bad relay from CAS relay being jumped and crimped wire in harness...I did put an aftermarket crank sensor ..it had a smaller oring than OEn crank sensor,and now its throwing a code..but car starts!! YES!

·
Registered
2007 328xi AWD
1 Posts
HI GEORGE...I'm going to ask for more help here..My radio doesnt work when i insert KEY in slot, nor does the KEY SYMBOL lit up on dash???Also, why do I have NO PARK SYMBOL on DASH or Gear selector switch??

Some auto electrician is coming to look at car..Do u think my KEY is bad? I know I have 3 CAS MODULE CODES..but what is terminal 15..all of them have terminal 15 as a CODE outputs 1, 2, 3. AOBF, CAS CODE AOBE, AND CAS CODE AOCO.Is there is relay for terminal 15?

I replaced 2 CAS RELAYS..one in glovebox and one under hood passenger side
NEW BATTERY, but I did not program
New Starter..still NO CRANK NO START
this is very frustrating.i'm going to show the guy all you sent me here

BOTH CAS FUSES are good with CONTINUITY.,.do i have to check them with BATTERY attached instead?
I have WINDOWS 8 can that accept the free INDY program?
Do u think my KEy is bad?
MY scanner is a handheld CREATOR 510.. you had asked me these questions previously
thanks
Check your positive cable in the trunk make sure everything is in place near

1 - 12 of 12 Posts