BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
E65/E66 Helper Man.......
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i dont know if this will work or not, but its worth a shot... i hope bmw tech can give us some advice as to if this is plausible or not... ive seen pics of 7ers with a cassette player in the dash opposed to the single cd player... after doing some research on realoem.com, i learned you can buy that unit for around 600 or so... so i was wondering, is this a plug and play, which i doubt? or does it require programming, which is what i think the case may be?

i was thinking you can install this in your car, retain the 6 cd changer, and use a cassette adapter to feed an ipod or ther device into the system... now yes it will look ghetto, but it will work and cassette adapters had good quality sound too...

so, bmwtech, or others, is this plausible?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GN63&mospid=47785&btnr=65_1151&hg=65&fg=05

·
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
true, but im trying to keep everything oem, in case anything fails and dealer trys to point blame at aftermarket accessories... plus, i dont like the fact that you have to use the idrive as a cd player, and dont get a display... i personally would rather use the ipod to control the songs through its display, but have the audio go through l7...

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Cassette adapters sound like crap. Not even worth it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
ok, so i dont know if this will work or not, but its worth a shot... i hope bmw tech can give us some advice as to if this is plausible or not... ive seen pics of 7ers with a cassette player in the dash opposed to the single cd player... after doing some research on realoem.com, i learned you can buy that unit for around 600 or so... so i was wondering, is this a plug and play, which i doubt? or does it require programming, which is what i think the case may be?

i was thinking you can install this in your car, retain the 6 cd changer, and use a cassette adapter to feed an ipod or ther device into the system... now yes it will look ghetto, but it will work and cassette adapters had good quality sound too...

so, bmwtech, or others, is this plausible?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GN63&mospid=47785&btnr=65_1151&hg=65&fg=05
WOW!

I thought I was the only one who thought about this!

Has anyone ever actually *SEEN* a 7er with the cassette module in that slot? Because I for one don't believe any U.S. spec 7 probably EVER had it. Remember, 2002 was when BMW switched most if not all of their cars over to standard CD players versus the old Business Cassettes.

I too was certain that there must have been cassette and MD modules that fit in that space for the 7 and sure enough I found that one on realoem myself. However, for 600.00 its not worth doing considering the other direct connection options mentioned above.

What I DO have to disagree with is that cassette adapters have crappy sound. To be totally honest I am MORE than satisfied with the QUALITY cassette adapters I've used (Sony, Phillips etc) and while the sound may not be perfect CD quality, its damn near close enough for me (the dynamic range of cassette expanded TREMENDOUSLY in the late 80s with the introduction of metal tape formulations, ever since then cassette decks have been designed to accomodate wider range metal cassettes automatically, and a cassette adapter is basically the ultimate "metal" cassette if you will). 1000 times better than ANY FM Modulated solution other than an illegal 20 watt transmitter maybe.

If one of these ever comes up used I'm snagging it immediately, but not for 600.00, IF you can even get it through the dealer. Some products I don't believe they can even order.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Cassette player was in US 2002 models

Yes, when I was looking for my 7 I came across two 2002's with the cassette player installed.

Jer

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes, when I was looking for my 7 I came across two 2002's with the cassette player installed.

Jer
That's awesome news! That means there HAS to be some out there popping up on ebay from time to time or old leftover dealer stock.

So weird to get excited about cassette players... :eeps:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ok I purchased it before going to lunch, it should be here Friday. Then I get to find out if its even compatible with my '03 and how hard it is to take the dash apart!

·
Registered
8 Posts
cassette adapter stuck

I too used the cassette adapter for my xm radio until it got stuck and now nothing works. Can't get the tilt screen up to pry out the cassette.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I'd rather listen to white noise than listen to anything through a cassette adapter.

·
Registered
238 Posts
IMHO wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to burn your cassettes onto cd? as for ipod, that format is mp3 which is a compressed wave file, they all sound like crap, and if you can't tell the difference, you don't need to worry about cassette adapter sound quality.

·
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i dont think the purpose of this is to listen to cassettes, but rather throw in an adaptor for external deviced... and yes, mp3s are compressed, however you can determine the quality of the sound file by adjusting the bitrate to be higher than the standard @ 128k...

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
:rofl: --is it that bad?
I have had an ipod since the 2nd gen, so I think that's about 2001 and I have been searching for a way to integrate it into my cars ever since. I have gone through three seven series over this time and have tried almost every brand of cassette and FM adapter both the highest and lowest ends and the audio quality leaves a lot to be desired. Cassette adapters have a hiss behind the music that is tough to ignore coming from the new digital media era. So much that I reverted to burning CD's for these cars over using the ipod.

Finally this seven has the BMW ipod adapter and although the interface leaves a bit to be desired, the sound quality rocks.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
IMHO wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to burn your cassettes onto cd? as for ipod, that format is mp3 which is a compressed wave file, they all sound like crap, and if you can't tell the difference, you don't need to worry about cassette adapter sound quality.
A true audiophile may disagree but I prefer the sound through my mp3 player and direct aux connection because of the mp3 player's enhanced eq settings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts