Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i bought a remus system and i didnt know it was a cat back i thought it was just a muffler. i really dont know much about cars so this might sound dum but should i do the cat back or just add the muffler cause i heard doing cat back messes up the system and the check engine light comes on, is this true can anyone school me before i do the job

cat back or just the muffler:dunno:

:dunno: please!! professional opinion, please!! no guesses

·
BMW Nuthead
2,388 Posts
by cat back do you mean it replaces both resonators, or just the secondary bannana shaped resonator. THere are quite a few people here who have removed everything after the cat and have had positive results, but noise/decibal level may your primary issue not mechanical

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I DONT KNOW!! THATS WHAT IM TRYING TO LEARN, DOES ANYONE KNOW WAT IS A CAT BACK SET UP OR HAVE PICS, I NEED TO KNOW IF ITS WORTH TO DO ALL OR JUST THE MUFFLER, HELP!!!!! lol

thanks

·
BMW Nuthead
2,388 Posts
measure the length of the pipe that came with your system if it is only 4-6 feet it only replaces your seconday, which is great. If it is 10 feet long then it replaces your whole track up to the cats...either way dont freak out, you can spend a few bucks and though a high flow resonator in the system to keep the sound level down

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but would it mess up the emmission thats wat i read and also wat is the secondary, do u got pics thank you

·
Registered
639 Posts
You will probably get better performance installing the whole system. However, I personally would only install the muffler. Call a local private BMW mechanic and ask them if you will have issues. They would know for sure.

·
BMW Nuthead
2,388 Posts
BMW 530i 2006.jpg
this is the secondary exhaust system, the bannana shaped resonator is the 2nd resonator out of two the first is just behind the cats, which are a part of the exhaust manifold(built into the exhaust manifold)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Should I Keep The Secondary Resonator Cause I Dont Want It To Be Loud But I Heard Remus Aint That Loud, Im Nervous Bout The Whole Cat Back Thing

Thanks Guys, Everyone On Here Aint Bimmer Snobs

·
BMW Nuthead
2,388 Posts
dont be nervous, mine is just perfect you get the sound you want to hear from such a well engineered engine

·
what does this button do?
869 Posts
I just installed a custom Magnaflow cat back exhaust ... very happy with the results. There is alot of information on this board in regards to exhaust and tone.

I did remove the Y shaped resonator and ran straight pipe from the after the cats to the muffler. It is a little loud, maybe borderline to loud. However, you can always retrofit a resonator back into the exhaust. The Mangaflow resonator is well under $100 and shouldn't take a muffler shop more then 30 minutes to install once the rest of the system is in place.

In any case, I would get rid of the OE resonator as it's very heavy and bulky ... if you find it too loud get an after market resonator.

·
BMW Nuthead
2,388 Posts
custom made system with magnaflow muffler, $250 installed

·
Registered
641 Posts
Do the cat back. I have a custom true dual from flowmasters hushpower II. It sounds great and no drone sound. its all about tolerance. I don't think the remus would be too loud. Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Holy hell. This guy is a little on edge. Sounds like he's about to jump off the roof over an exhaust setup.

1.) Calm down and breath. We'll get through this.

2.) Take what you bought (assuming it was made for your car) to the muffler shop of your choice. Show it to them and tell them you'd like it installed.

3.) Post pics here.

:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts