BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 528I got real loud real fast. Took to a local guy who did some sort of "smoke" test and said front cat was cracked. Replaced it for $1800 parts and labor. Said it was real difficult to get to and had to losen motor mounts to get it out etc. Ok, now the car has a throaty kinda sound and he says the back one is starting to go. And it is even harder to get to. Does this ring true to you guys who have been thru this? I don't really have another 1800 to throw in right now...any options you guys might think of?
I live real close to Autobahn but I know getting a cat off a wrecked car is risky.
In california it might even be illegal. Any suggestions? Thanks as usual.

·
Registered
15,902 Posts
The cats are part of the exhaust manifold. From what you said, he replaced the cat for cyls 1-3, and now the 4-6 cat is cracked.

Whatever caused the front cat to crack could very well cause the rear one to also crack. I've not read any posts where this has been a problem on your MY. However, since the cats are very close to the engine, they get very hot (that's why they're there). A spray of cold rain water could cause a crack, I suppose.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. Not sure what caused it. Maybe just age and the heat right there close to the engine. Either way I need the "rear" cat now too. Anyone know if you have to buy from BMW in the lovely state of California or is there an after market California legal cat I can get.
And any idea why the car would be vibrating now? The guy who did the work on the front cat said he had to loosen the motor mounts to get at the front one...could the vibration have anything to do with a lose motor mount? Or could a bad cat be causing this feeling of vibration?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.