Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, please help

I am in California, just bought a used 2010 BMW x5 with about 95,000 miles on it. I was being cautious, and asked previous owner to provide a smog test, which she did. so we made the deal, paid her, drove home.

next day, 2 codes showed up on my Acron CP9580 scanner: P0420 & P0430

closer observation:

1. the cat temp11 an cat temp 12 is always about the same temperature, Cat11 is about 20 degrees higher than Cat12.
2. The O2S11 voltage and O2S12 voltage is also about the same.

Question:

1. is this an Oxygen Sensor(s) problem?
2. how many converters does this car have, do I have a bad catalytic converter, or two?
3. what other testings can I do with this scanner to pin point the problem?

Thanks so much!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,782 Posts
No ppi? No read the codes? no check for when the OBD was last reset?

What motor in that there X5?

Virtually impossible to fix this with only a generic OBD scanner.... not gonna scan your way to a diagnosis. IMO

Bad cats are actually very rare. More likle is a air leak or other issue leading to very rich conditions overwhelming the cats and confusing the O2s, resulting in cat codes.

WHat are your long and short term fuel trim numbers?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,782 Posts
Oh, if you go buy a new CAT, do not be surprised if you have the same issue in another 2k miles.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have this Acron CP9580 scanner, still learning it, but if there are anything I should pay attention to, please let me know.

The scanner says sensors and cats are "OK".

I drove over 100 miles yesterday, and trip monitor still shows sensors and cats status as "incomplete".

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,782 Posts

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
I have this Acron CP9580 scanner, still learning it, but if there are anything I should pay attention to, please let me know.

The scanner says sensors and cats are "OK".

I drove over 100 miles yesterday, and trip monitor still shows sensors and cats status as "incomplete".

Ok, WHAT engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
hi guys, can someone please help me decipher these codes, and tell me WHAT needs to be tested/replaced:

at idle:

CAT Temp11: 802
CAT Temp21: 795
Long Term Fuel Trim 1: 5.5
Long Term Fuel Trim 2: 7.8
Short Term Fuel Trim 1: -0.8
Short Term Fuel Trim 2: -0.8
O2S12(V): 0.705
O2S21(V): 0.685

at 30mph:

CAT Temp11: 1131
CAT Temp21: 1140
Long Term Fuel Trim 1: -0.8
Long Term Fuel Trim 2: 0.0
Short Term Fuel Trim 1: -3.9
Short Term Fuel Trim 2: -2.3
O2S12(V): 0.690
O2S21(V): 0.470

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Seems like this takes more skills than the typical shade tree mechanic has. Lots of data and info in this thread, but no resolution that I can see.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158473

You pulled the codes after you bought the car, but is there a check engine light or are the codes preventing you from getting the car registered? Trying to gauge you're trying to accomplish and I can;t tell if you're in a bind trying to jump through the DMV hoops or you found codes and trying to make sense of them / fix something. Did you clear the codes and they came back?

I'm so confused...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,782 Posts
....., and tell me WHAT needs to be tested/replaced:
Rarely works like that, for this issue.....

Spend your time reading and learning from the link that Fredo posted.

try to to guess at parts and replace them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok. I was hoping someone can just tell me what's need to be done.

those 2 codes are "permanent" and I need to clear them.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,782 Posts
ok. I was hoping someone can just tell me what's need to be done.
Probably not for this issue- it isnt a 'heres the code, heres the part' type issue

those 2 codes are "permanent" and I need to clear them.
Can you delete them/clear them??? If you clear, it should clear- but then after some driving the codes may come back.

Does it do that?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for car made after 2010, there are some emission relate codes can not be "cleared" (hence permanent) unless the issues have been addressed.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,782 Posts
No, you need to access it with INPA or other module specific code clearing. As I recall

I mean otherwise how would a 'real mechanic' be able to work on a car, then return it to the customer with the code cleared and light off? The car cant instantly 'know' it was fixed...and a mechanic cant drive it for a few hours....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts