BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the car to the dealership. I had the oil & brakes changed ($2000) this included all the other junk they said I needed regarding breaks- 2days later the engine light comes on. I’m told I need to replace two catalytic converters and it would cost $4,000. I thanked the dealership and explained I would have to plan my budget and bring it back to them. (Honestly, really no intension of doing so. I live in a non emissions county- and one European shop stated a muffler shop would have to mend to the problem. I’ve also been told I could modify them- and save a good amount by doing so. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,887 Posts
It is NOT YOUR CAT..

They dont fail in pairs,

It is likely a air leak in the intake leading the DME to add too much fuel, the fuel overwhelming the cats and tripping a cat code.

Unfortunately this is difficult to diagnose....any other shops by you?.

Oh DO NOT use a bmw dealer. $2000 seems steep, its half the value of your car, no?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree 2k was a lot to pay out, exactly why I won***8217;t return to a dealership. The value is actually approx $6800- no way I am going to pay out 4K for two catalytic converters. I am calling a few more import shops to inquire. Typos in first thread ***8212; I***8217;m not the best with tiny iPhone texting. Thank you for your input. Anymore comments are welcome.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I took the car to the dealership. I had the oil & brakes changed ($2000) this included all the other junk they said I needed regarding breaks- 2days later the engine light comes on. I’m told I need to replace two catalytic converters and it would cost $4,000. I thanked the dealership and explained I would have to plan my budget and bring it back to them. (Honestly, really no intension of doing so. I live in a non emissions county- and one European shop stated a muffler shop would have to mend to the problem. I’ve also been told I could modify them- and save a good amount by doing so. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
I have heard some people say to use an O2 simulator on your existing O2 Sensors to mask any CATs related issues. Although it is NOT recommended for street use as it may be a violation of several emission regulations.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,887 Posts
OP.. Miles? When were the O2 sensors last replaced?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oddly, I ran in sports mode off and on for two weeks and no longer showing an error message.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,887 Posts
Lol

I'm sure you car is working perfectly and you have no underlying issues.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,571 Posts
Lol. I'm sure you car is working perfectly and you have no underlying issues.
Yeah,but he ‘fixed’ it!

Post hoc ergo propter hoc is a very weak logic, it’s witch doctor logic. Shake your magic Juju-stick and declare it fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts