BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to purchase a CB and a police band scanner. I don't really know much of the specifics on these things and was wondering if someone on the 'fest could help me choose a good setup. My price range is about $200-400 all together. I am looking for a stealthy installation if at all possible. Pics would be highly appreciated thanks alot! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Huh?

Taplin06 said:
I was looking to purchase a CB and a police band scanner. I don't really know much of the specifics on these things and was wondering if someone on the 'fest could help me choose a good setup. My price range is about $200-400 all together. I am looking for a stealthy installation if at all possible. Pics would be highly appreciated thanks alot! :)
Ahem!!!? Are you high? a CB Radio in a BMW? That's like putting a supercharger into a Yugo! :mad: LEave it the way it is. CB Radios aren't meant to go into BMW's. That's tends to create a clash of two worlds.. the rich/ sports car attitude and a Trucker's mentality.. Bmw and truckers dont mix.. last thing you want is a Trucker stopping u and beating u up because you have a better ride than him.. Just my $.02 cents!! Have a good day/night/morning. :drive:

Cordially,

Brandon Vlasak

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bimmerkid18 said:
Ahem!!!? Are you high?
Whoa whoa whoa!!! No need to say such things...:D

I know CB's and BMW's do not mix...but I live in Iowa, a few of my "friends"(not really..more collegues) have them. As for the police scanner, this is something I have always wanted to do and will most likely go through with it anyway whether it be hardwired or portable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Taplin06 said:
Whoa whoa whoa!!! No need to say such things...:D

I know CB's and BMW's do not mix...but I live in Iowa, a few of my "friends"(not really..more collegues) have them. As for the police scanner, this is something I have always wanted to do and will most likely go through with it anyway whether it be hardwired or portable.
Ahhh... ok now i see what you mean ;) A police scanner has some uses ;) :drive: :drive: :drive: :thumbup: :bareass: (to the police) :clap: :banana: :flipoff: :flipoff:

·
Registered
17 Posts
A note of caution - in some states, possession of a scanner capable of receiving police frequencies is against the law unless you are a police officer or have a ham radio license. Check your state and local laws before buying yourself some trouble.

Brien

·
Registered
3 Posts
Heck with C B

First off, even now days, CB will help with long drives...

Second, I'm a Ham operator...

So, I'm trying to figure out where or how to mount an antenna on a convertible.

And it's a new 2010 (picking it up tomorrow) Damn this is going to be hard

Any suggestions (besides don't do it)

·
Registered
99 Posts
*whistles quietly to self*

The CB is a Cobra 29 NW/WX/ST attached to a K40 trunk-lip mount with a 50-something inch whip dead center on the trunk (mag-mount units don't hold well even at highway speeds with gusty winds, much less when I'm in a hurry). The antenna over on the driver's side is a 2m/440cm amateur radio unit on a generic trunk-lip mount NMO base wired to a SMA pigtail stashed between my seat and the center console where I can hook up my handheld for extra range on the road.

The CB is real handy if you spend a lot of time on interstates, keep it on 19 and the pro drivers will keep you in the loop on traffic, cops, and anything else that matters to someone trying to make good time on the road. The amateur radio I can't justify for any practical reasons, I'm just a geek who likes toys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.