BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
The One who Drives.
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be doing my ED shortly and here goes my question:

Would it be beneficial to get a hand-held CB Radio and a Valentine One radar detector while on ED in Europe (.de, .it, .ch, .fr, .at, .cz)? Did someone do that? Also, what would be a chance of having a BMW alarm programmed while in .eu? I will have some space to install it physically (but I understand it requires an activation). Again, did someone do that? Thanks!

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
Would it be beneficial to get a ... Valentine One radar detector while on ED in Europe (.de, .it, .ch, .fr, .at, .cz)?
First, getting one while in Europe would be difficult.

Then regarding its use, only if you want to make a video of it being destroyed physically by the local gendarmerie :dunno:

·
The One who Drives.
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, getting one while in Europe would be difficult.

Then regarding its use, only if you want to make a video of it being destroyed physically by the local gendarmerie :dunno:
Thanks for replying!

Cool, then I assume it is illegal in .eu? That's OK. :) I was just asking.

And the CB Radio? I read and heard that it comes handy while over there. Any experience?

TIA.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Thanks for sharing your blog. The anticipation is half the fun. Are you still considering the diesel BMW or did the rise in diesel fuel cost nix that idea?

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
You'd need a euro-spec CB radio, as they use difference frequencies and modulations (typically FM), and have to be on the right setting depending on which country you are in. I won't bother with them.

Click on this link (its a manual for a euro-spec CB radio, and go to page 15 for the rules per country - some require a license too).

·
The One who Drives.
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing your blog. The anticipation is half the fun. Are you still considering the diesel BMW or did the rise in diesel fuel cost nix that idea?
No, not diesel. I made a nice Excel spreadsheet and did side by side comparison. Diesel at the current price point doesn't make sense, even if you include intangibles (look, feel, novelty factor). I settled on 328xi, just got approved on Sat. Blog entries coming soon. :)

·
The One who Drives.
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You'd need a euro-spec CB radio, as they use difference frequencies and modulations (typically FM), and have to be on the right setting depending on which country you are in. I won't bother with them.
Heh, thanks. :) I appreciate your answer and I like dealing with knowledgeable people on this board! :)

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
Thanks for replying!

Cool, then I assume it is illegal in .eu? That's OK. :) I was just asking.
Very. And some countries incl. Germany will destroy the device if they catch you. Plus a fine.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
Why anyone who is visitor to a country w/ no speed limit on the autobahn and yet still have the problem obeying the speed law is beyond me.

The key points are:

1) Look!! You are a visitor, what you do and act reflects your countrymen.

2) Are you telling me that you can't obey the speed law on surface street or in speed restricted area?? if not, why would you need a Radar Detector.

Think about it!! REALLY!! Why would you need a V1 in Germany??!! Sheeshh!!:tsk:

·
The One who Drives.
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why anyone who is visitor to a country w/ no speed limit on the autobahn and yet still have the problem obeying the speed law is beyond me.

The key points are:

2) Are you telling me that you can't obey the speed law on surface street or in speed restricted area?? if not, why would you need a Radar Detector.

First of all, Autobahns are not everywhere. And they certainly are not where I am planning on going.

1. I absolutely agree. And before I leave I do research, that is the reason I ASK. And I appreciate JSpira taking his time to respond. I do not appreciate you taking your time venting your frustration here. It is absolutely unnecessary.

2. I can obey any law in any country and I have. I have been to Germany multiple times, but I never traveled by car, my own car. I prefer to be safe than sorry. I prefer not to give German cop any reason to pull me over...

Stop trolling. I was just asking and I got my answer. There is no need to rant. Think about what you are about to post.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
Heh, a lil' uptight aren't ya??!! :D

Relax Dannyboy, if you're gonna post on the internet, be prepared to be criticized ...;)

But really... if you can obey the speed limit while over in Germany, there really is no need for V1.

Autobahns are not everywhere. And they certainly are not where I am planning on going
Speaking of which... where eaxctly are you going in Germany that can't be reached by Autobahn:eeps:

......Stop trolling. I was just asking and I got my answer. There is no need to rant. Think about what you are about to post....
Wow!! Way to go!!:thumbup: That's the way to respond to the board moderator;)

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
Stop trolling. I was just asking and I got my answer. There is no need to rant. Think about what you are about to post.
A tad harsh towards our beloved moderator. He means well. Really. He does. I mean it. :angel:

Speaking of which... where eaxctly are you going in Germany that can't be reached by Autobahn:eeps:
Maybe he prefers (as do I many times) to drive on some of those FUN TWISTY Bundesstraßen :D

Wow!! Way to go!!:thumbup: That's the way to respond to the board moderator;)
Let someone else say that next time :tsk:

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts

·
weissbiermeister
1,256 Posts
You guys rule.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Yeah?! Where were you for the last 22 mins ya bastard!!:p
Now children are we going to have to seperate you by more than a continent?:rofl:

·
Registered
481 Posts

The key points are:

Just to put this out there, Bee. Does this mean that you would place more fault on a German doing 80 on a 65 mph road in the U.S than you would to an American doing the same?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd like to defend dandanio... I, too, am considering taking my V1 to europe with me this week. France is full of french people, and photo radar. There are usually signs that sort of warn you of upcoming photo radar... but they are hard to see when driving fast.

I agree that, in Germany, there is no point... but I have no problem putting good old fashion American freedom on display in France. The speed limit is 130 (110 in "la pluie"). If you're capable of driving a new BMW only 68 mph in light rain... more power to you.

The german's may have lost the war... but I dont see any of us posting on the Citroen or Renault boards.

Has anyone actually gotten a photo radar ticket in france? Last time I drove there I had a rental... and never had any tickets follow me home.

I do think Bee is being a bit harsh... but you all need to know that we Oregon fans are going through tough times right now. After enjoying a solid football season, Ernie Kent is running us into the ground out here.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
If you are afraid of tickets take a portable nav system that has an updated data base of photo radar sites and let it warn you. Completely legal and safe. Or you could just obey the speed limits like most everyone else.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I doubt that "most everyone else" on this forum obeys the speed limit all the time. If I knew how to post a poll, and in what forum to post it , I would.

I'm willing to bet that less than 75% of festers "obey the speed limits" 100% of the time.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
When in other countries I am especially careful to obey the speed limits as more than just a fine devolves from infractions, if stopped you represent your country in that microcosm. If you are not stopped, but your photo is taken it can get expensive - I have experience. Where I live I routinely spend more time above the posted limits on highways than below. I do not drive an ///M5 just for the comfort, I live in an area of wide open spaces conducive to wide open throttle use.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts