BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any views of why would my CCC screen keeps rolling up non stop when it is hot out there (with no AC) or when I put the roof down? Have 04 645ci.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,675 Posts
Your unit sounds like it is running hot, or is getting low voltage. The easiest thing to do would be to measure battery voltage with the engine off, & the lights on. Anything less than 12 volts could be your problem. If that is the case, try charging your battery, to see if it will hold a full charge?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your unit sounds like it is running hot, or is getting low voltage. The easiest thing to do would be to measure battery voltage with the engine off, & the lights on. Anything less than 12 volts could be your problem. If that is the case, try charging your battery, to see if it will hold a full charge?
Thanks Herb!

I can drive the car for hours with AC on and not get this problem. Once I drive without AC or put roof down for 30 mins during hot day, screen start doing that. It starts with the letters getting distorted then rolling problem starts.

Nav does not reboot though because I can listen to the radio

·
Super Moderator
8,675 Posts
I would start with the battery, then maybe have diagnostics run on your IDrive & amp. The amp , screen, or possibly a bad connection on the fiber optic cable could be having problems?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Battery is brand new. Measured it multipl times at advanced auto parts and it is always more than 12.5v. Don't know if is registered to the car though...

Where is this fiber optic cable? Did not see it when I took the nav and screen apart to clean connectors

·
Super Moderator
8,675 Posts
The fiber optic connection is usually in the glove box area, on the left side. It runs to the rear electronics to the rear also. Have you had any diagnostics run on the car?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I would go ahead and replace the screen, they are cheap on eBay

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fiber optic connection is usually in the glove box area, on the left side. It runs to the rear electronics to the rear also. Have you had any diagnostics run on the car?
I did not run diagnostics on the car.

I got the INPA package and a cable, but was never able to get it to work without errors.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Do you think this is the screen or the NAV unit?
My bets are the screen (if you aren't having any issues with the audio messing up, system rebooting, etc). They are around $100 used on eBay and very easy to swap out. :thumbup:

·
Registered
363 Posts
I did not run diagnostics on the car.

I got the INPA package and a cable, but was never able to get it to work without errors.
I would be very surprised if INPA even gave a result that would be helpful in this situation.

·
Super Moderator
8,675 Posts
If you have the INPA software, you most likely have the DIS software. Once setup correctly, any module can be read, & diagnostics can be run to find the problem. DIS will run a quick test, & form a test plan to help find the problem in the problem module.

Is your NAV working properly? IS the complete screen rolling, or just the left side of the screen? Have you tried rebooting the IDrive by pressing the volume button, along with both eject buttons at the same time. Hold all 3 buttons in until the screen reboots.

If you have not setup the ediabis.ini, inpa.ini, & obd.ini correctly, the software will not communicate to the car. These are usually the problem items getting the software to work properly, along with the correct cable. The files can be found in this path" C:\EDIABAS\Bin " folder. You will also need to setup the proper com port in the device manager usb settings.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Any views of why would my CCC screen keeps rolling up non stop when it is hot out there (with no AC) or when I put the roof down? Have 04 645ci.
I would check the main/LVDS cable behind the screen, connecting the screen and the unit, easily accessible by pulling out the screen from the dash.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you have the INPA software, you most likely have the DIS software. Once setup correctly, any module can be read, & diagnostics can be run to find the problem. DIS will run a quick test, & form a test plan to help find the problem in the problem module.

Is your NAV working properly? IS the complete screen rolling, or just the left side of the screen? Have you tried rebooting the IDrive by pressing the volume button, along with both eject buttons at the same time. Hold all 3 buttons in until the screen reboots.

If you have not setup the ediabis.ini, inpa.ini, & obd.ini correctly, the software will not communicate to the car. These are usually the problem items getting the software to work properly, along with the correct cable. The files can be found in this path" C:\EDIABAS\Bin " folder. You will also need to setup the proper com port in the device manager usb settings.
If it is a physical problem with the LCD or cable, INPA will not detect a problem, as there will be no reported error...

·
Super Moderator
8,675 Posts
If it is a physical problem with the LCD or cable, INPA will not detect a problem, as there will be no reported error...
DIS or ISPA/D would be able to detect the problem in the module. Run the test on the ECM for that module. INPA might not be able to do this, but I don't use it enough to know for sure?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My bets are the screen (if you aren't having any issues with the audio messing up, system rebooting, etc). They are around $100 used on eBay and very easy to swap out. :thumbup:
New screen is arriving tomorrow, bought for $50 off ebay. Will keep you all posted with the outcome.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: LCD screen was bad. Thank you all for the help!

derekwilkinson,

You win the bet, check in the mail:) thank you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts