BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
CCV and Oil filter housing

Just thought I would add a couple of comments of my own. I recently went to remove my oil filler cap and found it to be ceased, could not remove. I tried to remove when the engine compartment was warm and sure enough cap came off, as it was frozen on due to moisture built-up. To my surprise, the cap looked like a milkshake exploded on it. I also found a massive oil leak around the head gasket area. Of course my first thought was head gasket and huge $$$ to fix. Long story short, I took an oil sample in to have checked and sure enough, water in the oil. After reading all of the forums, I decided to spend my $2.00 for oil filter housing gasket and $180 for winter version of CCV (I'm up in Canada and we easily hit -40 Celsius in winter) and see if I could fix this problem, as I could not believe it was the head gasket. I have read many forums that say the winter version of the CCV is a pia to change, I didn't find it that hard. I took the filter housing off and sure enough, leaking like a SOB. Then started disconnecting all lines leading to CCV and guess what, water started to pour out! I also found a big hunk of ice in the line that leads to the bottom of the CCV, check out the attached pics. All-and-all both problems fixed in a few hours. I'm sure the stealer would have charged be well over $1500 to fix! One thing to watch out for on the new CCV. The insulated jacked is held together by these lame o-rings that kept coming off when trying to squeeze the CCV in place. Some forums write that you need to modify the new CCV by shaving and cutting. I found that I did not have to do this, just have a lot of patience and a couple of cold beers. To boot, I did this in my garage in -15c!

Attachments

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
This looks like a great discription on the DIY for the CCV...will tackle the job on my '97 528i..thanx for the great info.
Actually you need to do more than the CCV.

I wrote a comprehensive DIY here:
1- Replacing Oil Line to Vanos (mine is leaking).
2- Replacing CCV and hoses (preventive).
3- Cleaning ICV and replace its hoses (preventive).
4- Cleaning Alternator Air Duct and Installed Gutter Guard to prevent leaves from being sucked in.
5. All vacuum hoses
6. Intake Gaskets etc.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379225

·
Registered
6 Posts
CCV replaced in 45 min

These posts helped me do my 99 M Coupe (S52) in about 45 minutes. My task may have been simpler than others because of model differences, but here is what I did.

I bought a 10mm ratcheting box end from Sears...

Removed the air filter box.

Removed the crankcase vent pipe (to CCV).

Removed the vent tube from the lower connection leading to the dipstick tube.

Loosened one hose clamp to give access to the first of the three 10mm bolts holding the CCV on its bracket.

Removed the 3 10mm bolts (thank you, Sears), then removed the CCV...snaking it forward over the alternator into the space made available by removing the air filter box. Minor maneuvering required.

I then attached the new vent tube to the bottom of the new CCV and installed them (after inserting a new rubber grommet to the underside of the intake manifold). The 3 10mm bolts installed easily with the ratcheting box end.

Attached the vent tube to the dipstick tube. Attached the crankcase vent pipe. Tightened the hose clamp. Installed the air filter box.

Done in 45 minutes. No misadventures in this case.

Hope it helps.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
here is what I did.
FWIW, I've never done any of this, but, I tried to collect the relevant threads together to help others (and perhaps even me, in the future) do their CCV properly.

Here's what I've come up with (so far):
- CCV FAILS: crankcase ventilation valve diaphragm tears, freezes (1), &/or clogs (1), necessitating CCV replacement (M54,M54,M54) (M52,M52) (M52TU) (M62,M62) ('99 528i) ('98 528i); raising pressures, often causing the OFH oil filter housing to leak (1); frequently blowing the VCG valve cover gasket (1); and sometimes the head gasket (1); often causing vacuum leaks (1) (2) (3)

Please improve!

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
This post helped a lot. Replaced my CCV in about 3 hours (taking my time so I would not break anything). Engine was cutting out at idle and running very rough with a loud vacuum leak somwhere below the intake. It was the CCV and/or the two hoses connected to it. Replaced all the above spending less than $100 total.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Replace Crank Case Vent Hose "ONLY"

Anybody just replace the Crank Case Vent hose (from VCG to CCV)?? I see all the posts related to replacing either the CCV and everything attached to it but I'm only looking to replace my cracked hose. The car is otherwise fine. I noticed it was cracked during routine maintenance of replacing the VCG.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
That will not be easy to acces the end of the Vent Pipe that connects to the CCV. Accessing that end when the CCV is still attached to the engine is difficult (at least on the M54 it was). You will have to remove all the various parts (airbox, throttle body, electrical box, etc.) to get access. If you do that, you may as well replace the CCV itself.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
That will not be easy to acces the end of the Vent Pipe that connects to the CCV. Accessing that end when the CCV is still attached to the engine is difficult (at least on the M54 it was). You will have to remove all the various parts (airbox, throttle body, electrical box, etc.) to get access. If you do that, you may as well replace the CCV itself.
Saw this post when the thread was resurrected.

I managed to re-attach the vent pipe to the CCV by removing just the air box and one electrical connector. So it is possible, but not easy. ANd I don't know I would be able to remove the vent pipe from the CCV this way.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Did this yesterday, hoses were pretty much fully blocked at CCV. Can't wait to feel difference and not have to keep refilling oil. Can't believe nobody mentions how hard it is to connect the short hose coming off te top of the CCV with the 2 90 degree bends. That was a bitch

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Did this yesterday, hoses were pretty much fully blocked at CCV. Can't wait to feel difference and not have to keep refilling oil. Can't believe nobody mentions how hard it is to connect the short hose coming off te top of the CCV with the 2 90 degree bends. That was a bitch
You should read my thread on BimmerForums...
I explain how to attach the hose..

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.