BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could a CCV still be causing a vacuum leak/failing if there were no visible signs of failure?

I'm throwing codes 26,27,28,29 (all lean codes) and my indy seems to think it is the CCV even though the back of it is clean as a whistle.

If its not the CCV I need to pinpoint the leak somewhere else.

Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Did you get a smoke test done? Just to determine if it is a internal/external leak. Just had mine done, and it seems all sealed. However it could still be the ccv or the MAF. It could even be O2 sensors.
Thus on my list is cleaning the MAF and seeing if this solves the codes and rough idles. If not i will have them do the CCV on the back and change out both O2 sensors since they are about done anyways.

·
^^^Worst Username Ever!
1,381 Posts
Testing a faulty CCV is easy. Wait until the car is cold (including the tranny), start-up the engine and immediately place a plastic bag over the CCV. If the idle changes (smooths), you have a bad CCV.

Other signs of a bad CCV are a puff of smoke on start-up, rough cold starts and sluggish acceleration. You can do it yourself, but it can be a pita without the right tools.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. The boot seems ok but i need to check underneath it. The boot on my old 330 had a huge hole but I could hear a whistle when I was driving. I don't really hear that with this.

I get a rough idle, but only when i don't drive it for a day or if i leave it parked outside. Maybe the ccv is in the beginning stages of failure, or just enough to throw those codes. I will try the bag test.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
How many hours of labor are usually involved in replacing the CCV with a cold weather CCV kit?
I don't know but maybe that information is in the VERY best of E39 Links

- CCV FAILS: crankcase ventilation valve diaphragm tears, freezes (1), &/or clogs (1), necessitating CCV replacement (M54,M54,M54) (M52,M52) (M52TU) (M62,M62) ('99 528i) ('98 528i); raising pressures, often causing the OFH oil filter housing to leak (1) (2) (3); frequently blowing the VCG valve cover gasket (1); and sometimes the head gasket (1) (2); often causing vacuum leaks (1) (2) (3)

·
Registered
79 Posts
^ The BMW stealership quoted me 4hrs of labor to install the CCV. I'm having an Indy do the job, after I bought the kit from Pelican Parts, saving $226 (cam shaft sensor included.) Indy is still working and it's been over 5 hrs.....

FUDMAN says it took him 8hrs but he was taking pics, but he feels the job can be done in 3hrs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My indy quoted me about $450 on the V8. He said the intake manifold has to be removed, but I have seen the DIY's on here and bimmerforums without removing it.

He said the part alone was around $160 but I'm not sure where his source is because I can order it and the gasket from BavAuto for around $80 after shipping.

·
^^^Worst Username Ever!
1,381 Posts
My indy quoted me about $450 on the V8. He said the intake manifold has to be removed, but I have seen the DIY's on here and bimmerforums without removing it.
No question it can be done without removing the intake. If you can afford to pay $450, then save yourself the trouble. If you would rather attempt the fix yourself, you're going to need the right tools. The biggest area that can get you into trouble are the torx bolts that hold it in place. They are tight, and the heads will strip unless you use a quality torx bit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
OK back from Indy was charged $467.70 for CCV replacement. However, he did not replace the value as he said he would have to take off the thottle body and he didnt have a gasket for it. He said he blew compressed air through the CC valve and it was clear....?

Also, he didn't replace the Crankcase vent hose (11 61 533 399) as he said he couldnt get to it and the old hose was fine. Said the cause of the problem was the hose from Crankcase to oil pan and dipstick was broke in half.

Does this make sense or should I buy the throttle body gasket and have him replace the valve and CC vent hose?

·
Registered
25 Posts
When the CCV in my 540i went there was no signs of oil etc...., however, there was the familiar howl/whistle.

I can tell you the CCV is easy to replace. I replaced mine without removing the intake manifold, and within days of having surgery to correct a torn labrum, all within an 1 1/2 hours. It is my opinion that the dealer likes to remove the intake and replace all the gaskets as a preventative measure for the future. The CCV cost me approx. $34 at BAVAUTO, plus a $6 (approx.). The one thing I have learned to enjoy while working on my 540i is that not one of the nuts/bolts etc., have been any trouble removing. This is unlike any Chevy or other quasi-domestic I've ever worked on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.