BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Nice DIY write up Fudman.

At what mileage should one expect the CCV to go out, or what symptoms should I look out for?

Infor. much appreciated
Mileage is anytime. it all depends on how many short trips (<5 miles) you do in cold weather with how many long trips (> 10 miles) in between. The cause of CCV failure is condensation of oil vapors in the CCV itself. See spydrz pix for details. Can happen anywhere but is worst in cold climates. As 16valvex, the design "fix" is cheesy and a stopgap measure at best. But it is better than the original design. The real solution is to avoid short trips in cold weather. Short trips cause the oil condensation, long trips burn it off. Symptoms of CCV failure or clogging are increased oil consumption, black smoke in exhaust (typically at startup), etc. Cracked CCV hoses can create all sorts of running and idling problems due to vacuum leaks. The worst case scenario is engine hydrolock but that is rare and is typically where it is REALLY cold.

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts
Wow!
Yours looks way bad!
Huge build-up!

Did you notice a difference after installing the new one?

Thanks!
Jason
Not a huge difference...it revs a bit more freely...but that could be due to the cleaned ICV/TB. BTW this car has had 5k oil changes from new (94k miles now).

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts
BTW, if anyone doing this wants a cold weather unit, I have the brand-new clamshell foam cover and o-rings from mine. Shoot me a PM and we can work something out since I have no use for this cover.

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts
I just bought a new one the other day from Crown BMW of Greensboro--they told me that all of the new ccv valves have the cover on them at no extra charge.
Interesting...
JD emailed me after I ordered this one and asked if it was the right part for my car, since I didn't have the cold weather CCV listed under my VIN.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I just bought a new one the other day from Crown BMW of Greensboro--they told me that all of the new ccv valves have the cover on them at no extra charge.
This makes sense since the problem appear to be occurring everywhere, irrespective of environmental conditions. Another reason why the CCV is a [email protected] design.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have about 27 additional pictures of this procedure (too many to post here unless someone knows how to do it) and have written up a description of these pics. These go with the DIY. If anyone needs this info, please PM me with your email address and I will send them to you. Could be helpful as you go through this effort.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great write up. My 2001 needs this done and I've been thinking of doing it myself.

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
I have about 27 additional pictures of this procedure (too many to post here unless someone knows how to do it) and have written up a description of these pics. These go with the DIY. If anyone needs this info, please PM me with your email address and I will send them to you. Could be helpful as you go through this effort.
Actually, pretty easy to post more pictures.
Just call it Part I, Part II and Part II with each section contains 10 pictures or so.

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts
Actually, pretty easy to post more pictures.
Just call it Part I, Part II and Part II with each section contains 10 pictures or so.
Agreed! And watch smolck's videos.

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
REFER TO THE ORIGINAL POST FOR THE STEPS:
NUMBERS REFER TO THE PHOTO:

1 – A top shot of where the various CCV hoses go.
2 – A view of the insulated CCV, note the foam rubber “jacket”
3 – A view of the new CCV with the hoses attached
4 – This is hose #2, Vent Pipe. The original is un-insulated.
5 – This shows hose #7, Return Pipe. The original is already insulated. Note how it attaches to hose # 3, Connecting Line.
6 – This is the air filter box, MAF & upper intake boot (steps 4 & 5) removed
7 – This is engine view of the air filter box, MAF & upper intake boot (steps 4 & 5) removed
8 – A different view of the same. Note the wiring box, dipstick tube & lower intake boot (step 6).
9 – This shows the 13mm bolt that holds the dipstick tube (step 7).
10 – This shows the dipstick tube removed with “mayo” inside the cut #4, Vent Hose.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
THE BALANCE OF THE PHOTOS:

11 – This is where the lower intake boot has been removed.
12 – The lower intake boot REMOVED.
13 – A view of the original un-insulated CCV still installed. The throttle body is blocking the view.
14 – This is the throttle body disconnected (step 9).
15 – This is a better view of the CCV connector knurls after modification (step 12).
16 – The alignment stripes (step 12).
17 – A photo of the CCV jacket modified (step 11)
18 – The CCV just before bolting back in place (step 12)
19 – This shows the electrical connectors tied together in Step 8.
20 – Routing of electrical wiring (step 15).

Attachments

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts
Thanks for the pics!!

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Very detailed, thanks Fudman.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.