·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
7,360 Posts
+1 Mr Wh1te

Also, was it OEM?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, I will try to answer in order. Blow by gasses are normally produced all the time but the actual amount of air will be very small. For this reason yes the ccv will be open most of the time. And yes the amount of vacuum in theory will determine how far the ccv will open (at idle it will open less.) However, this is where it differes because it really makes no difference how far the ccv opens or not. It should only have available the blowby gasses to pull through. And in a hypothetical case where an excessive amount of blowby was being produced the ccv would be able to open as far as it needed due to the pressure difference.

If there is a leaking gasket the ccv will already be open. The difference is that the leaking gasket will allow fresh unmetered air to flow through the ccv causing a rough idle. This was the main thing I was trying to point out. Leaking valve cover gasket = vacuum leak. (Very strange thing to see in the design of an engine. Other cars are not like this.)

As for the air pump, on the M62 engines the air pump is only on the vanos engines. The air pump has nothing to do with vacuum leaks or the ccv. The air pump is there to pump air into the exhaust pipes in order to heat up the catalytic converter faster during warm up. (The cat needs to heat up before it starts working.) This is also the reason why bmw automatic transmissions have very late/higher rpm shifts when cold. (To get the cat warmed up.)
If the vavle cover gasket is leaking would a little bit of water/condensation be coming thru the top port hole on my vavle cover that runs to the ccv line??

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.