Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Have a 2004 545i. Planning on doing some maintenance on it and was wondering what is the average expected lifespan on the crank case valve - the orange part in case it is mislabeled by me. Had mine replaced about 3-4 years ago so got me wondering. Issue is that taking them out will likely hurt/damage them so hence my question.
I now that parts cost is very low so could just exchange them anyway but would love to hear other people’s experience.

Thanks..

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it for now ... 3 to 4 years ,, you have a long way to go before having to replace them again.. If you want to do a little preventive maintenance . Replace the hard brittle vacuum hoses with fuel injection line ..

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure which part you are referring to so I did a search on realoem but came up with too many options. Can you guide me so I am sure which one you mean? A part number would be a real help.

·
Under the lift arms
12,949 Posts
Its weird that this v8 has a ccv, and a pcv

most of the times.. the v8's only have pcv plates, and the i6's had ccv systems..

they combined both here

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked mime and they seemed to be ok but my car is high mileage so will follow your advice and replace them anyway. Strong believer of applying the same methodology as the air mechanics use - which if anyone is in doubt is to do preventative maintenance so the plane don***8217;t drop out of the sky...
Just discovered that my mechanic forgot to install the fasteners for the coils when I replaced my spark plugs today. There will be a lot of shouting tomorrow. You simply cannot trust anyone any longer. Wonder how many other parts they left out when they where under time pressure - and they are always short on time.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hi
Have a 2004 545i. Planning on doing some maintenance on it and was wondering what is the average expected lifespan on the crank case valve - the orange part in case it is mislabeled by me. Had mine replaced about 3-4 years ago so got me wondering. Issue is that taking them out will likely hurt/damage them so hence my question.
I now that parts cost is very low so could just exchange them anyway but would love to hear other people’s experience.

Thanks..
Mine has been on since new, taken out 2 years ago to clean. Nothing broke. Put it back on. 12 years in, still no leaks and operating. I may be one of the few who has a real gem though. By the way, approaching 150,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
My N62 hit 153,000 miles without a leak. Then everything started to leak at the same time. CCVs replaced once at 145,000 miles or so. Only one was torn.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
995 Posts
On a side note, faulty crank case ventilation system can attribute to huge problems, one of which are the valve stem seals going bad.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are parts that we probably should exchange but never do that could increase lifespan of our cars drastically.
When I asked my dealership to do an oil change on my gearbox I was promptly told that I was the first person to do so.
On another note I saw a YouTube video the other day stating that we should exchange the power steering reservoir as well as the CHF reservoir.
Never done that preventively but maybe I should.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
There are parts that we probably should exchange but never do that could increase lifespan of our cars drastically.
When I asked my dealership to do an oil change on my gearbox I was promptly told that I was the first person to do so.
On another note I saw a YouTube video the other day stating that we should exchange the power steering reservoir as well as the CHF reservoir.
Never done that preventively but maybe I should.
You have only one reservoir ,, the power steering reservoir is the CHF11s reservoir.

·
Registered
995 Posts
You have only one reservoir ,, the power steering reservoir is the CHF11s reservoir.
There are more than one. There is also coolant reservoir and hydraulic fluid reservoir. Transmission does not have a reservoir. The fluid is contained in the transmission.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My bad. Meant coolant and steering. Have any of you replaced before failure in order to prevent them?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I bought a coolant reservior, and keep it on hand. No signs of leakage yet. 2009 528xi, 101k miles. Recently replaced gasket on steering reservoir.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
There are more than one. There is also coolant reservoir and hydraulic fluid reservoir. Transmission does not have a reservoir. The fluid is contained in the transmission.
I'm not talking about the coolant reservoir or brake fluid or wiper fluid reservoirs ect ..

I'm fully aware there are more than one reservoir having my 545 coming up on twelve years .

It appears by the OP's post ,, he is under the impression there is a power steering fluid reservoir ''and " a hydraulic reservoir with CHF11s Fluid .
exchange the power steering reservoir as well as the CHF reservoir.
My comment pertains to the power steering .. So to clarify,, there is only "one" reservoir for the power steering ,, and ARS which uses CHF11s hydraulic fluid .. There is no reservoir for power steering fluid ..

·
Registered
995 Posts
My bad. Meant coolant and steering. Have any of you replaced before failure in order to prevent them?
I replaced coolant expansion tank while overhauling the radiator and hoses. Water pump still original after 12 years. CHF reservoir still original, although I have a brand new one on hand and will replace when weather warms up.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
In general it is better to not ‘fix’ what is not broken lest one ‘fix’ until it is broken or the fixer is out of money.

Logically, what is the limit on preemptive parts replacement?

·
Registered
71 Posts
If I understand correctly, the power steering/ARS fluid (CHF) reservoir includes an integrated filter, much like the automatic transmission pan. I wouldn***8217;t necessarily go out of my way to replace it as a pure PM item, but as with so many plastic parts under the hood, if showing its age, I could see replacing the reservoir/filter along with the fluid as the years and miles add up.

My two cents,

OakTone
2006 E60 550i Sport

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
There is a difference between preventive maintenance and corrective maintenance .. In most cases corrective maintenance is more expensive than preventive maintenance . Especially when it comes to the coolant system on these cars ,, expansion tank for example ...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guess some of you have already pointed to why preventive exchange of those two parts would be a good idea. In case someone missed it..
First there is a filter in one of them and the second have a pressure relief system in case of over heating which would prevent the system from a catastrophic failure.
Now my pressure cooker at home needs to gets its seal replaced every year or two. My car is now coming up on 15 years so maybe we should do more preventative replacements. I am actually amazed how long some parts have lasted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts