BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2006 330 xi K-bus woes caused by leaked anti-freeze onto CD changer. If scanner cannot connect with ECM. Now what? I know there are problems at the #1 cylinder but can't diagnose with obd ii scanner. What's next?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
The CD changer is not connected to the diagnostic bus. It only has a power a ground and the optical MOST connectors. Also it's in trunk where no coolant lines are present.

You have to dig deeper, figure out which module got damaged by coolant and disconnect those. Once disconnected, you should be able to run diagnosis on the ECM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a bottle of antifreeze in the trunk which leaked under the cap. Happened in my Grand Am as well. Difference being that, in the Grand Am , the only bad effect is an antifreeze smell

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
bypass cd changer with most jumper or

bypass cd changer with most jumper or reroute the cd changer out
of the most loop at the most junction behind the US rear passenger side
bolster . It doesn't seem logical that this would stop your scanner from working
since it goes through the OBD port. Which scanner are you using?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Iffy Repair Shop

Sent my car to a shop which primarily does imports. 1 month of holding my car and he says his $20,000 computer can't get a read. My screen went out when the antifreeze leaked; so the statement was plausible to me. But entering the ship I see dirt and disarray. Rusted aftermarket rims on display. Spiderwebs in the window. Mechanics complaining about not getting paid. They couldn't get the owner on the phone, etc. They couldn't even find my key. So, I posted here to see what you all had to say. I took my car and this$10, 000 loan is sitting in my driveway until I can figure out what to do

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Sent my car to a shop which primarily does imports. 1 month of holding my car and he says his $20,000 computer can't get a read. My screen went out when the antifreeze leaked; so the statement was plausible to me. But entering the ship I see dirt and disarray. Rusted aftermarket rims on display. Spiderwebs in the window. Mechanics complaining about not getting paid. They couldn't get the owner on the phone, etc. They couldn't even find my key. So, I posted here to see what you all had to say. I took my car and this$10, 000 loan is sitting in my driveway until I can figure out what to do
There is an optical bus called MOST for the infotainment system. This is a loop and if it's broken somewhere, all the devices connected to it will stop working. Head unit, navigation, radio,CD/DVD players.

But the rest of the car should still work fine, that's why I think the antifreeze got spilled onto some other stuff/cables too. Clean up the area where it get spilled, disconnect all the devices that are there and see if that fixes the diagnosis bus. If there is nothing there, there might be another device killing the bus that is unrelated to the incident.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Take it to a BMW only indy shop these guys

Take it to a BMW only indy shop these guys
seem to be turkeys if they don't know how to
bypass the cd changer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts